1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Extragastrointestinal Symptoms ... During Breath Tests distinguish patients with functional gastrointestinal disorders, 2020, Wilder-Smith

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by rvallee, Aug 12, 2020.

1. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://journals.lww.com/ctg/Fulltext/2020/08000/Extragastrointestinal_Symptoms_and_Sensory.12.aspx

[​IMG]

Peter Trewhitt and Kitty like this.
  2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It looks like treating multi-system diseases by siloing some symptoms into specialties who only look at a few features and otherwise limiting the multi-system part to "somatization", whatever that means, is not particularly smart.

Multi-system diseases needs their own specialty, capable of working across the various disciplines, without the woo and obsessive ideology of psychiatry and their ridiculous conversion disorder.

Lidia, Hutan, Amw66 and 7 others like this.
  3. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As an aside, it seems ingestion of sugar is problematic across a fairly wide spectrum of ME patients. Not necessarily because it causes GI symptoms (though it may), but because it tends to aggravate all ME symptoms.

I've often wondered whether this is an important clue that should be investigated...or whether the explanation is so obvious to doctors that they don't even bother explaining it. I've seen lots of theories about candida overgrowth and so on, usually from patients, but not much actual research.

Hutan, alktipping, rvallee and 2 others like this.