1. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 1st March 2021 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Extension of PIP awards (UK)

Discussion in 'Work, Finances and Disability Insurance' started by Kitty, Jan 22, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I found out by accident some time ago that my award has been extended. I needed an up-to-date award letter to renew my Blue Badge, and when they sent it I noticed that the end date was nine months later than it had been. Today I actually got a notification of it.

It's happened because they transferred a lot of staff to UC due to Covid, which ate into the staff time they'd normally use for reviews. I suspect that many others will find theirs has been extended too – at least if they've got a good while left before they need to reapply (they normally start this process a year before the end date). My previous end date was 2023, and it's now 2024.

Fingers crossed that others do get a bit of a break, for once!

2. JoanneS

JoanneS Established Member (Voting Rights)

My award was due to end July this year. I received notification of an extension until April 2022. However, I have heard anecdotally that some have received an extension then shortly after received renewal forms.

3. Agapanthus

Agapanthus Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, as Joanne above says, this is true as my son received his renewal forms for PIP and then shortly after received an extension of his award. I had it explained to me (I give him a lot of support with his benefits applications), that it is done because if the renewal forms are delayed then there it makes it easier for the DWP to manage the process, as apparently if the time runs out then the PIP will just come to an end!

4. Joan Crawford

Joan Crawford Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Good to hear. PIP and renewal process causes a lot of unnecessary strain for many of my patients. I've heard quite a few talking recently about receiving extensions