1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Exquisite sensitivity to medication"

Discussion in 'General and other signs and symptoms' started by Marco, Jan 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I can relate to this. My daughter developed sensitivities post chickenpox and glandular fever. Seems to be linked to liver/ sulfoxidation/ sulfation ( phase 1/2 detox sysyems)which impacts methylation, hormone synthesis, glutathione availability. Recent H. Pylori can be linked back to liver function and gut health ( sulphate availability for mucin synthesis). Even joint pain can be related back to this.
    Interestingly my aunt who has ME had jaundice when born, hepititis when younger. Genetic disposition may be , in our case related to cysteine/ methionine and sulfur pathways.

Inara, Invisible Woman and MeSci like this.
  2. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

For me, it hasn't been sensitivity to medications in general, but rather extreme reactions to a few specific medications that normally don't cause a problem for anyone. Like having to be hospitalized after taking a simple tricyclic. Or suddenly having hallucinations from another psych med.

Generally my doctors would either be puzzled, or express that I was making symptoms up.

Never had a problem with any of the SSRIs though.

3. Grigor

Grigor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ì have to up meds with 1/32th of a pil. Even that is way too high. Really annoying. Can't reach a real good therapeutic dose like that.

Inara, Invisible Woman, Marco and 3 others like this.
  4. alicec

alicec Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My impression is that my hypersensitivity - to both drugs and other things - is both selective and variable.

When I first got sick around 2000, I was supersentive to everything, food, chemicals, supplements, allergic rhinitis out of control - don't think I was taking any prescription drugs then apart from steroid nasal spray.

Over about eight years most of these sensitivities settled down and I gradually recovered maybe to 70-80%.

I relapsed again in 2012, worse than previously, but this time no hypersensitivities, no allergies.

I've never taken many prescription drugs but can report a few adverse reactions and sensitivities prior to ME - eg instant unbearable response to a calcium channel blocker, extreme sensitivity to pseudoephedrine (even one small dose early morning led to insomnia that night), intolerance of Maxolon (anti-nauseant) - and one instance of an adverse reaction to a NSAID (Voltaren) with ME (in my hypersensitive phase) which I tolerated easily without ME.

At the same time there are a couple of drugs I have tried with ME that have caused no problems - beta blockers, SSRIs, Stemetil (anti-nauseant).

I'm not sure what to make of it.

Yessica, Inara, Indigophoton and 3 others like this.
  5. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

For me propranolol (80 mg, I think) made me keep going numb and almost blacking out.