1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Exploring the validity of the chalder fatigue scale in chronic fatigue syndrome - 1998 Morriss et al

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Sly Saint, Sep 1, 2019.

1. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting. Do you have a link to the trial?

NelliePledge, MEMarge, Hutan and 7 others like this.
  2. Evergreen

Evergreen Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I do and meant to include it! https://academic.oup.com/rheumatology/article/42/9/1050/1772059

It's Tench et al 2003 Fatigue in systemic lupus erythematosus: a randomized controlled trial of exercise

I've put the link in my original post too.

MEMarge, Hutan, Cheshire and 9 others like this.
  3. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you!

4. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

This is a great idea

Is there some kind of royalty system for use of such questionnaires or are they free to use? I hope there’s no money being made off this claptrap.

MEMarge, Hutan, Annamaria and 2 others like this.
  5. BruceInOz

BruceInOz Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So they're saying two measures agreed (and gave a null result) and one differed so therefore the one that differed must be correct and the other two are wrong for reasons? You couldn't make this stuff up!

MEMarge, Hutan, 2kidswithME and 6 others like this.
  6. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

we were also discussing it at the other place in 2017
    https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...medicine-again-by-d-tuller-et-al.50158/page-5

the original paper on the development of the Fatigue scale
    http://simonwessely.com/Downloads/Publications/CFS/32.pdf

7. lycaena

lycaena Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hutan, Trish and Annamaria like this.
  8. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Why didn't Graham tell us he had it all sorted?
    At least we may have come to the same conclusions independently!

9. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think the Chalder fatigue scale is misleading because in chronic conditions, patients cannot accurately do what the scale asks them to do, which is to compare their current state with their pre-illness state.

I don't have a memory of how being healthy felt like. What I think happens is that the brain, when it is asked for memories it doesn't have, simply makes the best guess. Maybe this best guess is further or particularly influenced by expectations (patients having been told that the treatment will improve their fatigue etc)

10. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How yer doing? (visual analogue) is more relevant and understandable than the Chalder Fatigue Scale. ;)

Hutan, Annamaria, Barry and 3 others like this.
  11. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is important to point out that there is a big difference between correlations at a static point in time and correlations in an unblinded prospective clinical trial which is inherently subject to various biases.

MSEsperanza, Annamaria and Barry like this.
  12. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I looked up other publications by the author of this article (Craig Jackson) and found this one:

Variation and Interactional Non-Standardization in Neuropsychological Tests: The Case of the Addenbrooke's Cognitive Examination.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31550997
    https://sci-hub.tw/10.1177/1049732319873052

interesting that did not apply any of this to the interpretation/administration of the CFQ. (eg instructions on how to interpret 'as usual')

(I think this is him [there's an email contact address]
    https://www.bcu.ac.uk/social-sciences/about-us/staff/psychology/craig-jackson )

would be interesting to see what he thinks about @Lucibee @Michiel Tack and others assessment of the CFQ on the latest Cochrane review thread.

eta; and of course the comments on this thread

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    Annamaria, rvallee, Barry and 2 others like this.
  13. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Agree with both.

I was coming from an other perspective.

There seems to be a consensus that in trials on therapist-delivered treatments where blinding is not possible, objecive measures are needed.

There also seems to be a certain consensus that for trials on certain illnesses like ME, because there are no objectively measurable signs and symptoms specific to that illness, you have to mostly rely on subjective measures to assess any treatment's effect on symptoms / illness severity.

Cochrane and other institutions assessing evidence of treatment effects seem to be rather confident with this situation; it might be considered as just one factor among others in the 'tools' they use to assess the quality of evidence. Which seems at odds with the standards used for trials investigating other illnesses (with 'hard' signs and symptoms).

Coming from that perspective, I found it was interesting that people tested the correlation of some items on the Chalder Scale with objective measures. Even if those are very unsprecific meausures, don't they invaildate the otherwise used argument that subjective symtoms like fatigue can't be objectivly assessed per se?

Last edited: May 17, 2020
    Snow Leopard likes this.
  14. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Subjectivity has several meanings but the important one here is that a measure can be skewed enough in one direction or another by knowing what result you want to provide a statistically significant effect. That is entirely consistent with there still being some degree of correlation with an objective measure. Scoring in ice dancing is subjective but the results tend to correlate quite well with an absence of technical errors like falling over.

As we have debated in the past, the answer is to have multiple threshold measures that require both a significant change in the desired subjective measure AND a significant change in some objective measure that corroborates the subjective measure. There is still room for getting spurious results but much less.

Barry, Snow Leopard, JemPD and 3 others like this.
  15. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

The end goal must be to increase patient's sustainable activity capacity back to within the range of the healthy general population, which is definitely open to objective measurement.

The it's subjectively defined, therefore only subjective outcome measures matter claim really make me angry. It is the last refuge of scoundrels and cowards desperate to avoid a proper assessment of their claim.

Mithriel, Andy, rvallee and 6 others like this.
  16. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:thumbup:

I think @Jonathan Edwards a while back said something along the lines of if you wanted to know if the patient felt better you could just ask the patient.

Even where there are objective measurements the definition recovery & harms for any trial should be agreed with the patient population.

In a healthcare system where there are never enough resources the point is not to treat people regardless of outcome, it is to improve the outcome for the patient.

The BPSer have long held that patients with ME, & now those with MUS, shouldn't undergo unnecessary tests, even though you can't be 100% sure a test isn't necessary until you have done the test and seen the result. Yet at the same time feel it's appropriate for patients to undergo treatments that do nothing to improve the outcome for the patient, except perhaps to make the majority worse. As long as the treatment is provided by their own speciality or cronies of course.

The CFQ is simply a means to create noise. A distraction to stop people noticing that there was no meaningful improvement in function or quality of life.