1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Energy Conservation Management for People With Multiple Sclerosis–Related Fatigue: Who Benefits? (Blikman et al, 2019)

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Dolphin, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Whatever the flaws in the Australian 2003 Clinical Guidelines, and they sure have them, they did end with this emphatic statement on the whole notion of 'secondary gain':

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    Simbindi, lycaena, MEMarge and 9 others like this.
  2. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Basically questionnaire answers were correlated with questionnaire answers. The mistake the researchers are making is assuming these questionnaire answers are not biased.

rvallee, MEMarge, Trish and 4 others like this.
  3. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The narratives of BPS are easily understood and use a sort of shorthand by feeding into prejudices. That is why they are so easily accepted. Too lazy to work yet wanting handouts by trying to make out that their fatigue is an illness yet I am expected to give them some of the money I earned by forcing myself out of bed.

The researchers offer papers laden with initials and complex biology which makes your eyes cross. We don't stand a chance.

Demanding they make what they are saying explicit would show up these prejudices.

Simbindi, Sean, DokaGirl and 2 others like this.
  4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But the questionnaires tell them what they want to hear so of course they're not biased.

smirks in Dunning-Kruger

MEMarge, Sean, DokaGirl and 1 other person like this.
  5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And they so fearful of saying their true intent that they don't mind pretending to be stupid, knowing people in the know hear the dog whistle.

Sharpe-blocks-reasonable-questions2.png

MEMarge, Snow Leopard, Trish and 3 others like this.
  6. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Sean, I think the Australian guidelines are right on with the illness gains bit.

Not to criticize you, not at all, but where the guidelines say: " In the absence of evidence of malingering" - how does one prove malingering?

One way would be by hiring a PI to sneak around and film people. And another, query the neighbours.

And ask for objective evidence of physiological abnormalities.

Or, maybe throw a wheelchair bound pwME in the deep end of a pool.

That might show whether they're malingering or not.

Excellent quote though from the Australian guidelines.

I would imagine there is some medical training about how to ascertain malingering.

It doesn't include throwing people into a pool or whatever.

ETA: changed last sentence.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    MEMarge, rvallee and Sean like this.