1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Endothelial dysfunction in ME/CFS patients, 2023, Sandvik, Mella, Fluge et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by SNT Gatchaman, Feb 3, 2023.

1. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ha! :thumbsdown: Actually, I was referring to my distinctive art nouveau garden gate, and I was wondering if such taste may be a common feature of severe ME/CFS :)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2023
    Ash, Sidney, obeat and 4 others like this.
  2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks, my flagging system seems a bit arbitrary.
    I wouldn't think it was a bad option. Signals can be blocked either in nerve tissue or elsewhere.
    We are getting to the stage when almost any malfunction can potentially be corrected with genes or monoclonals or whatever.

Ash, Ariel, obeat and 7 others like this.
  3. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've often wondered whether this is connected to theories about endothelial issues and blood supply. If muscle fibres had been operating rather short on oxygen-rich blood and then the supply came back on line once they were at rest, it might feel like this. A sort of reperfusion injury, but in the individual fibres of a tissue type (muscle) that tends to shout very loudly when damaged but is able to recover from it quickly.

This is only how I imagine it working, I've no idea whether it's really plausible.

4. Robert 1973

I may be atypical but I’ve never had this sensation. I get terrible all over pain but I never describe it as muscle pain as such, and it feels quite different to the feeling I used to get when I was well and lactic acid would build up when I did anaerobic exercise.

Having said that, there are definitely similarities with the sort of pain I remember from school PE when we were told to lie on our backs and try to hold our feet in the air with legs straight for as long as possible. For me, it’s a bit like that, but without the burning. The pain gets to the point when I would have had to put my legs down. But it happens when I’m doing nothing, there is no way I have found to relieve it, and it can persists for weeks or months at very high intensity.

I remember when I was first ill saying it feel like something else was building up in my muscles, similar to the way lactic acid builds up, but different, more toxic feeling, and much slower to clear – if it ever cleared at all.

It has always felt to me like there is some type of tissue hypoxia, but I appreciate there may be other explanations.

I also appreciate that people use different language to describe the same symptoms, but I would be surprised if anyone experiencing the same type of pain that I get described it as muscle pain – unless they just ran out of alternative vocabulary.

Ash, sebaaa, alktipping and 8 others like this.
  5. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Certainly will at least look organic ...

Ash, alktipping, obeat and 3 others like this.
  6. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Apologies if I'm duplicating anything but I wonder if what they did in this study might have some relation to Dr Alan Moreau's new, low-stress protocol for provoking PEM.[Thoughts?], which also involves an arm pressure cuff.

The thought was inspired by spotting this, Preprint: Altered Tissue Oxygenation in Patients with Post COVID-19 Syndrome 2023 Schäfer et al which also involved testing with an arm cuff.

Ash, alktipping, Ariel and 6 others like this.
  7. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Both this study and the preprint you posted @Andy use an arterial occlusion protocol, whereas Alain Moreau's protocol as described in thread and linked video ("a very gentle pulse", 0-4 PSI) would only be intermittently? modestly? at all? impairing arterial inflow.

I don't know whether this could be physiologically significant on vascular side - probably not in normals but maybe in those with endothelial dysfunction. However, perhaps the massage cuff is gently "damaging" muscles over time, similar to what happens normally with the mechanical provocation of exercise that needs to be repaired and shows as an immune and inflammatory response (or not).

Ash, alktipping, Michelle and 8 others like this.
  8. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Definitely not enough to cut, or even reduce, arterial blood flow. Moreau used about the lowest pressure possible. It inflates and deflates in a rhythm, but at its strongest it's no more than a slightly tight shirt.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2023
    alktipping, Ariel, Michelle and 4 others like this.
  9. Robert 1973

Thanks.

Sorry to be persistent but could you answer my other 2 questions:

Ash, alktipping, Ariel and 2 others like this.
  10. Jonathan Edwards

I guess I didn't answer those questions because I don't know the answers. To the first: maybe not. To the second, maybe, but it is hard to think what would lie behind a persistent signalling problem without showing itself some there way.

Ash, sebaaa, alktipping and 9 others like this.
  11. Robert 1973

Thanks. Better to know what we don’t know than to not know what we don’t know, I guess.

The reply you gave to Hutan (below) seems to imply that there would be measurable physiological effects. I’m struggling to envisage how a signalling problem which did not result in any measurable physiological effects could cause PEM (ie not only the malaise but the inability to override the faulty signal)

Whatever the cause(s)/mechanisms of ME/CFS it is clearly something which is hard to think what it is, otherwise someone would have thought of it by now.

Is it conceivable that some sort of pathogen which has thus far evaded detection could be interfering with signalling? For example, is it conceivable that commensal microbes could overgrow when the immune system is under stress from infection, and then remain undetected at a steady but pathogenic state which interferes with signalling post infection?

Alternatively, is it conceivable that there could be an undetected brain infection? As far as I’m aware we still can‘t detect prions in the blood, so it doesn’t seem inconceivable to me that there may be some type of undetected infection in ME/CFS which interferes with signalling.

I’m not suggesting that either of these is necessarily likely. I’m just trying to understand if they, or similar scenarios, are possibilities. And I know that I don’t know enough to answer these questions myself.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2023
    Ash, sebaaa, alktipping and 6 others like this.
  12. Jonathan Edwards

One reason why I doubt hidden microbes are involved is that if they were I would expect at least an occasional case where the microbe showed itself in terms of 'winning' rather than just hiding away causing a nuisance. Most hidden infections can become overt in people who for some other reason have their defences reduced.

Ash, sebaaa, obeat and 15 others like this.
  13. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

That's a good point.

But, there is the example of rickettsias. There is an Australian study that found a high level of latent rickettsial infection in people with ME/CFS symptoms. (I also have tested positive to rickettsias.) Brill-Zinsser disease does occur occasionally, as a reactivation of a rickettsial infection, but it doesn't seem to happen often, and, when it does, it can be decades later. Given that the reactivation is typically milder and doesn't necessarily cause a rash, just a fever that responds to doxycycline, it might not even be identified as a reactivation. It's damn hard to get tested for rickettsias.

Brill-Zinsser Disease in Moroccan Man, France, 2011

Last edited: Mar 22, 2023
    Ash, sebaaa, Art Vandelay and 8 others like this.
  14. Robert 1973

That makes sense. But if microbes overgrew to the extent that they were “winning” might that not result in a different presentation and a different or new diagnosis? I’m wondering if ME/CFS could be a steady pathogenic state where neither the microbe(s) nor the immune system is winning. If the immune system wins, the patient recovers. If the microbe wins, the presentation and diagnosis changes. Could it be that ME/CFS only occurs when there is a stalemate?

Ash, Hutan, Art Vandelay and 4 others like this.
  15. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

was just thinking the similarly thing that if the microbes ever win the person is simply assumed to have been misdiagnosed. And perhaps it hasnt alerted us because it isnt always the same one? I'm very foggy though so that might be sheer drivel

Ash, alktipping, Ariel and 2 others like this.
  16. Jonathan Edwards

It could but in the long term many people eventually get a loss of immune defences - maybe 5-10% will develop a condition that lowers resistance, such as diabetes. So we would expect 5-10% of PWME to eventually suffer from overt infection with the hidden agent.

An analogy would be herpes zoster. About 10% of people will develop shingles in later life as a reactivation of their hidden chicken pox virus. In the past re-emergence of TB was another example - still seen commonly in poorer communities when people are given anti-TNF drugs.

Ash, sebaaa, Wyva and 7 others like this.
  17. Robert 1973

Do we have any reliable epidemiological data on causes of death in people with ME/CFS? I know suicide rates have been studied (and are high) but I don’t know if there is reliable data on other causes. It would be interesting to know if there are any statistically significant differences with other groups which can’t be explained by the limitations imposed on patients by the disease.

If the stalemate idea was true, presumably it could either be caused by a particular type of ME/CFS specific microbe which has a tendency to evade detection by leading to a stalemate (possibly not a bad evolutionary “strategy”), or alternatively it might be that it could be caused by any one of a multitude of different pathogens. If the latter were the case and there were enough different pathogens capable of causing a stalemate then presumably that might not not show up in epidemiological data as the causes of death in the cases where immune comprised patients had lost to the pathogen would be as diverse as the pathogens themselves.

Thinking about all the above also makes me think how useful it would be if we had a post-mortem tissue bank for ME/CFS, as the MEA is trying to establish.

[edit: changed some of the wording and grammar to try to make my point clearer.]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
    Ash, Ariel, Jacob Richter and 2 others like this.
  18. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Kitty, Ash, mango and 12 others like this.
  19. RobH

RobH Established Member

I have mild ME/CFS with dysautonomia symptoms including OH.

I have tried supplementing with Citrulene and beet root extract, both are vasodialators. What you describe is my N=1 set of symptoms. I get increased OH from the supplements.

I also understand that a primary drug treatment for OH is Midodrene. That is a vaso-constrictor if I am not mistaken.

Ash, Michelle, Hutan and 1 other person like this.
  20. RobH

RobH Established Member

This fits my experience. I try to be a competitive masters swimmer despite my mild ME/CFS. I can maximally sprint 25 yards in about 12 to 14 seconds (nationally competitive times for my age group) with no limitations except catching my breath afterwards. I can, but struggle to sprint 50 yards, which takes me 25 to 30 seconds. I definitely feel impairment during last half of that distance. I have put my body into complete shutdown trying to race 100 yards, hitting a proverbial wall at about 70 yards. I have a very significant decline of speed as distance increases.

My understanding of body energy systems is that PCr is the primary energy source for about 15 seconds. After that, we start using increased amounts of glucose metabolism which is processed in the mitochondria and requires blood flow to operate. Oxygen must be delivered and metabolites must be removed. Both energy systems create significant metabolites that, if not removed, can cause system failure. The breathlessness from exertion could certainly be explained by increased levels of CO2 (metabolites not being removed quickly enough).

Kitty, Ash, Michelle and 3 others like this.