1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Emotion Induced Monoamine Neuromodulator Release Affects Functional Neurological Disorders, Liang et al, 2021

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Andy, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Open access, https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fcell.2021.633048/full

Peter Trewhitt and spinoza577 like this.
  2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I'm struggling to muster up the energy and enthusiasm required to read this paper. From the abstract, it assumes a great deal that is questionable is proven.

Michelle, Mithriel, Andy and 4 others like this.
  3. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You need to get a robot to read it for you @Hutan - they understand this stuff better than we do.

Michelle, Mithriel, Hutan and 3 others like this.
  4. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

If I had a robot that could understand that abstract, I reckon it would also have better things to do with its time.

Michelle, Mithriel, Trish and 3 others like this.
  5. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

FND proponents are taking Freudian theory and by cloaking it in a mask of scientific detail they make them sound erudite and grounded in proven biology.

When you try to work out what they are saying to refute it there is nothing there beyond "the emotions did it"

It is like talking about crystal therapy using wavelengths and other detailed physics of crystallography. It has all the hallmarks of the sort of pseudoscience the New Scientist calls out in its columns; things like quantum irradiated water as a cure for everything.

JemPD and NelliePledge like this.