1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Elsevier investigates hundreds of peer reviewers for manipulating citations

Discussion in 'Research methodology news and research' started by Andy, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-02639-9

Sly Saint, DokaGirl, Mij and 13 others like this.
  2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Why don't they remove the citations and blacklist the reviewers?

This practice has been going on ever since I have been in science. The easiest way to tell who has reviewed your paper is by what papers they require you to cite in order to satisfy their comments. It happened to me a couple of weeks ago. It happens all the time. If publishers have just woken up to this...

3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

What can the papers' authors do when that happens? If they refuse to cite the papers, does the reviewer put in a bad review? It sounds like blackmail.

DokaGirl, Snowdrop, Mij and 8 others like this.
  4. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is blackmail. If you refuse to cite a paper the reviewer just says he thinks that changes are not adequate and recommends rejection. A good editor can keep tabs on that sort of behaviour but the author has no way of knowing whose side the editor is on.

I am now lucky that my salary does not depend on publishing so last time around I just said that I could not see any point in citing the papers I was told I should cite. I explained why they did not alter our position and also suggested that they might not be representative of the field. The reviewer is likely to have been cross, but the editor is quite likely to have been on my side since I am an unpaid book review editor for his journal!!

Mithriel, DokaGirl, pteropus and 12 others like this.
  5. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

I think it is quite subject dependent. I've seen it happen when economists have reviewed papers but not from computer scientists.

I wondered if it was considered normal in some subjects.

DokaGirl, MeSci, ladycatlover and 3 others like this.