Elon Musk's Neuralink

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic theories and treatments discussions' started by Hubris, Mar 11, 2023.

1. Hubris

Hubris Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I just had a funny (tragically funny) thought about Neuralink implants. I have just come from a minor surgical procedure that left me with a permanent problem and a new disability. From what I can tell, it's not because the doctors fucked up but rather from my connective tissue not healing properly (possibly related to ME).

Of course, i am being gaslight and told my issue is psychosomatic, as is tradition. It honestly doesn't matter though because I'm bed bound with ME anyway and if i lay on the side the pain goes away so it's not too bad, it's just uncomfortable at times.

Anyway, it made me think, no way in hell would i ever get a neuralink implant. If anything goes wrong chances are I'll be blamed by doctors and the damage will be permanent, with possibly catastrophic symptoms (since we are dealing with brain tissue).
    The "funny" part of the thought is the contrast between our engineering and technological progress, and the medieval, barbaric thinking of the neurologists. And society always siding with the latter. What i imagine will happen with those implants is some people ending up with hellish yet intangible (not measurable) symptoms, doctors blaming patients and refusing to even attempt to figure out the issue, meanwhile society/media blaming the engineers, politicians and executives because somehow doctors are never at fault, even if they are showing patients the middle finger.

Funny world we live in.

Btw, sorry if it's the wrong forum section

2. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Such medical procedures never cause problems ... until several thousand people make the same complaints, leading to a study that shows that the problems are due to the procedure.

Yes, I think you're right that Neuralink will cause some unexpected problems; that's the nature of new stuff. Many people want the benefits, and are willing to gamble on them, especially if they expect a good lawyer will win them vast sums of compensation if there's a problem. Musk's lawyers will probably make sure that the company can't be sued for unexpected problems. Eventually, the problems will be solved and Neuralink or its descendants will be a standard part of life, and the next "new thing" will be released before all the problems are solved.

Doctors aren't perfect, since medical knowledge is limited. Arrogance is a bad trait though. They should at least say: "None of the tests available prove your claims of symptoms, but they don't disprove them either. I just don't have any way to help you at this time."

livinglighter and alktipping like this.
  3. Hubris

Hubris Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We are right even though we have been proven wrong a thousand times before, but this time we must be right because there is no evidence that we are wrong. Oh, what's that, you are saying there is no evidence yet because we simply just ignore any and all complaints and we are the ones who gatekeep the evidence? La la la, i can't hear you. By the way, you should see a psychologist.

Only in medicine you can act like a toddler and be treated like a God.

alktipping, Creekside and Trish like this.