1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Electrolytes

Discussion in 'Other treatments' started by Mij, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

About a month ago a friend of mine was telling me that he had a scary experience when he was playing high intensity table tennis one evening. He’s very fit and plays 8-10 hrs a week, but that one time he could no longer hold his racket because he lost the strength in his hand/arm. He’s diabetic and was concerned that it had to do with his sugar levels. I asked him if he drank electrolytes during his matches and he said no, and that he drank mineral water. So he did some looking around and ordered Scrivation XTend powder online because there were a few studies on it and had 5 star reviews. It’s quite expensive but the mix also contains a few BCAA. No sugar. So he tried this and said it was the difference between night and day, and that his muscle recovery was incredible.

I asked him to give me a few scoops to try, and I’m wondering if this was the reason I was able to walk 3+ hours last week and 2 weeks ago? Honestly, the day after walking I felt as though I had done nothing, and I was able sit upright for longer periods of time. It could be a coincidence too. Who knows? The powder has just the right ratios of chloride sodium/potassium etc. I'm going to buy a jar and take it regularly to see if this is helpful long term

Between menopause night sweats, hot flashes and my weekly power walks I must be losing sodium/potassium and not replenishing it fast enough? I've never had pain with ME so I can't say if it helps with pain, but it does help with muscle recovery as long as I don't go into PEM (which I am able to avoid).

I don't think it's a placebo effect but will have to take the powder for a longer period of time. I like that I can sit upright for longer periods of time!

2. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting. I make up my own electrolyte solution, however this seems to be more about amino acids than salts?

I found the Scivation Xtend on Amazon:

Ingredients:
    L-Leucine (3.5g), L-Glutamine (2.5g), L-Isoleucine (1.75g), L-Valine (1.75g), L-Citrulline DL-Malate (1g), Flavours, Acidity Regulators(Citric Acid and Malic Acid), Sodium Citrate, Bulking Agent (Polydextrose), Magnesium Salts of Citric Acid, Potassium Chloride, Sodium Chloride, Sweeteners (Sucralose and Steviol Glycosides), Colours (Allura Red and Beta Carotene), Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine Hydrochloride)”

MEMarge, Annamaria, WillowJ and 2 others like this.
  3. Mij

There are different combinations with this brand. The one I tried is this one.

4. Mij

5. Keela Too

Looks like the same amounts of amino acids. Certainly interesting that it seems to have helped. I “think” my electrolyte mix helps me, but really, I’m not sure. If nothing else I’m better hydrated.

6. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have found that BCAAs can help mitigate PEM. Not completely prevent it but reduce it and help it 'resolve' in less time.

I am not aware if this can work retroactively, if taking them after PEM has fully set in is helpful. I tend to take them when I know I have to do something that's likely to cause problems, and then for a few days afterwards.

It's better than not taking them, in my opinion, but not a 'fix'.

I have no idea on electrolytes.

MEMarge, Sarah94, Yessica and 2 others like this.
  7. Mij

I have been making Dr. Paul Cheney's Home Brew for years to help with orthostatic intolerance:
    • 1 cup filtered or spring water
    • 1/8 teaspoon of Sea Salt
    • 1/8 teaspoon of “No Salt” salt substitute (potassium).
    • Add lime juice or an herbal teabag as well as stevia for taste (or something to give it flavor without altering the electrolyte balance: peppermint, peach, raspberry zinger, etc.)
    But, this powdered electrolyte drink mix is superior. I'm wondering if it's because of the added BCAA and ratio combination.

8. Keela Too

Just worked out BCAA stands for Branched Chain Amino Acids. :)

9. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Could the same benefit not be produced eating food instead of drinking a sports drink?

10. Mij

I'm assuming it does. I find the drink more convenient and refreshing right after I get home from my power walk. I don't really feel like eating.

11. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Depends how well your enzymes and so on are working, and depends how many nutrients are in the soil that grew the food.

12. hellytheelephant

hellytheelephant Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Do keep us posted @Mij - it will be interesting to see how you progress on it.

Annamaria, Mij and Trish like this.
  13. ringding

ringding Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yessica, MEMarge and Mij like this.
  14. hellytheelephant

hellytheelephant Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hi @Mij - I just wondered if you are still taking this electrolyte powder and getting increased benefit?:hug:

Yessica, MEMarge and Mij like this.
  15. Mij

@hellytheelephant I haven't been out power walking because of viral/vertigo for the last month so I've not been taking the powder. I will update when I'm back out again :)

Yessica, MEMarge and hellytheelephant like this.