1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Electroacupuncture at BL15 attenuates chronic fatigue syndrome by downregulating iNOS/NO signaling in C57BL/6 mice, 2022, Yang et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Andy, May 25, 2022.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Abstract

Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) has a high incidence due to the increased pressure of daily life and work in modern society. Our previous clinical studies have found the effects of electroacupuncture (EA) on CFS patients, however, the mechanism of EA on CFS is still unknown. In this study, we investigated the effects of EA on cardiac function in a CFS mouse model to explore its underlying mechanism. The mice were randomly divided into three groups: control, CFS, and CFS mice receiving EA (CFS + EA). After behavioral assessments and echocardiographic measurement, blood and heart tissue of the mice were collected for biochemical tests, and then we evaluated the effects of EA on the CFS mouse model when nitric oxide (NO) levels were enhanced by l-arginine. The results showed that EA ameliorated the injured motor and cardiac function. Meanwhile, EA also inhibited increased expression of inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) at heart tissue and the serum NO levels in mice subjected to sustained forced swimming stress. Furthermore, the NO level in serum increased with l-arginine administration, which blocked the effects of EA on CFS mice. This study suggested that EA could improve the motor function and cardiac function in CFS mice and its effects may be associated with the down-regulation of iNOS/NO signaling.

Paywall, https://anatomypubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ar.24953

Hutan and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  2. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Really?
    Once again proving themselves to have no earthly idea what CFS actually is.
    Its not Tired All The Time.

I'm getting increasingly irritated with these animal studies. There is no way to induce CFS there is no way to tell if an animal has it or not. It is cruelty for no good purpose whatsoever, the results are meaningless.

ETA not suggesting cruelty ever has a 'good' purpose just that vivisection is said to be justified to save human life/treat disease, i cant personally come to a conclusion what i think about it tbh, but this isnt even doing that so i just wantthem to stop. Until we can say with any kind of surety that we can be sure the animals even have Me/CFS CFS whatever then, research on them with the purpose of shedding light on mechanisms in CFS, is utterly pointless. And therefore its just morally wrong imo

Last edited: May 25, 2022
  3. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, I wasn't under any elevated pressure when I developed ME. I'm sure plenty of people were also living a low-stress lifestyle when something triggered their immune systems which in turn triggered ME.

How much support is there in the research community for the reliable identification of mice--or other animals--having ME? They can't even reliably prove it with humans.

It's quite easy to build a grand theory, even if one of the base elements is not provably true. Actually, it's easier to build a false theory if you can choose which critical element can be claimed to be true even though there's no proof.

Hutan, bobbler and alktipping like this.
  4. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The first hit on Google for these mice is:

Blog Post June 22, 2016
    THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A C57BL/6 MOUSE!
    Peter Kelmenson

LEARN MORE
    It is critical that you know which specific C57BL/6 substrain you are using so that you use the appropriate controls for your experiments and interpret your data correctly!

And why didn't they check to see if it works on C57BL/9 mice as well?
    Could be inconsistent.

FMMM1, alktipping and Lilas like this.
  5. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In case people are interested:

C57BL/6 mice have a dark brown, nearly black coat. They are more sensitive to noise and odours and are more likely to bite than the more docile laboratory strains such as BALB/c.[3] They are good breeders.[1]

Group-housed B6 male mice display barbering behavior, in which the dominant mouse in a cage selectively removes hair from its subordinate cage mates. Mice that have been barbered have large bald patches on their bodies, commonly around the head, snout, and shoulders, although barbering may appear anywhere on the body. Both hair and whiskers may be removed.[4]

C57BL/6 has many unusual characteristics that make it useful for some work and inappropriate for other: It is unusually sensitive to pain and to cold, and analgesic medications are less effective in it.[1][5] Unlike most mouse strains, it drinks alcoholic beverages voluntarily. It is more susceptible than average to morphine addiction, atherosclerosis,[citation needed] and age-related hearing loss.[6]

adambeyoncelowe, FMMM1, Hutan and 2 others like this.
  6. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Having read the above description of C57BL/6 mice ----drinks alcoholic beverages voluntarily --- sounds like it might be a better model for humans!

adambeyoncelowe likes this.