1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Efficacy of cognitive behavioral therapy targeting severe fatigue following COVID-19: results of a randomized controlled trial 2023, Kuut, Knoop et al

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Grigor, May 8, 2023.

1. Grigor

Grigor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Efficacy of cognitive behavioral therapy targeting severe fatigue following COVID-19: results of a randomized controlled trial.

Tanja A Kuut, Fabiola Müller, Irene Csorba, Annemarie Braamse, Arnoud Aldenkamp, Brent Appelman, Eleonoor Assmann-Schuilwerve, Suzanne E Geerlings, Katherine B Gibney, Richard A A Kanaan,
    Kirsten Mooij-Kalverda, Tim C Olde Hartman, Dominique Pauëlsen, Maria Prins, Kitty Slieker, Michele van Vugt, Stephan P Keijmel, Pythia Nieuwkerk, Chantal P Rovers, Hans Knoop.

Abstract
    Background
    Severe fatigue following COVID-19 is prevalent and debilitating. This study investigated the efficacy of cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) for severe fatigue following COVID-19.

Methods
    A multicenter, 2-arm randomized controlled trial was conducted in the Netherlands with patients being severely fatigued 3-12 months following COVID-19. Patients (n = 114) were randomly assigned (1:1) to CBT or care as usual (CAU). CBT, targeting perpetuating factors of fatigue, was provided for 17 weeks. The primary outcome was the overall mean difference between CBT and CAU on the fatigue severity subscale of the Checklist Individual Strength, directly post CBT or CAU (T1), and after six months (T2). Secondary outcomes were differences in proportions of patients meeting criteria for severe and/or chronic fatigue, differences in physical and social functioning, somatic symptoms and problems concentrating between CBT and CAU.

Results
    Patients were mainly non-hospitalized and self-referred. Patients who received CBT were significantly less severely fatigued across follow-up assessments than patients receiving CAU (-8.8, (95% confidence interval (CI)) -11.9 to -5.8); P < 0.001), representing a medium Cohen’s d effect size (0.69). The between-group difference in fatigue severity was present at T1 -9.3 (95% CI -13.3 to -5.3) and T2 -8.4 (95% CI -13.1 to -3.7). All secondary outcomes favored CBT. Eight adverse events were recorded during CBT, and 20 during CAU. No serious adverse events were recorded.

Conclusions
    Among patients, who were mainly non-hospitalized and self-referred, CBT was effective in reducing fatigue. The positive effect was sustained at six month follow-up.

https://academic.oup.com/cid/advanc...id/ciad257/7157021?searchresult=1&login=false

Thread on the study protocol:
    ReCOVer: A RCT testing the efficacy of CBT for preventing chronic post-infectious fatigue among patients diagnosed with COVID-19.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2023
    Arvo, petrichor, oldtimer and 4 others like this.
  2. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yet another:

Subjective outcomes in an open label trial with no active control (‘care as usual’ is not a meaningful control to allow the conclusion that this intervention is any better than any other pseudo therapeutic interaction of the same interaction level).

(Not totally clear how ‘concentration’, was measured though I assume that was also measured by questionnaire. At least they attempted to record adverse events)

Also I found no mention of PEM or whether any subjects met the diagnostic criteria for ME/CFS, only focused on severity of fatigue or if the fatigue was chronic, so no serious consideration of the potential lack of homogeneity found in Long Covid.

(edit - corrected typos, also not clear if they understood the distinction between chronic fatigue and chronic fatigue syndrome. Not to even discuss this in a condition where potentially up to 50% of Long Covid sufferers meet the diagnostic criteria for ME/CFS is a concerning omission.)

Last edited: May 8, 2023
    EzzieD, Milo, Arvo and 9 others like this.
  3. Grigor

My post on LinkedIn about the paper.

The new Dutch CBT trial for #longCOVID. From my initial scan.

All subjective outcome measures. The actometer that was used at the beginning of the trial to assess patients activity that could've provided objective evidence of improvements was not used? Neither right after the trial nor at 6 months.

Sounds very familiar where with studies in "CFS" and QFS the disappointing objective outcomes measure never seem to match the "positive" subjective outcome measures. So what do those physical function questionnaires really mean?

https://lnkd.in/gUEUc3j

Patients might simply report improvements because they received more attention than those with regular care that didn't. We all know the care that people with #LongCovid isn't that great in the Netherlands.

The majority of the patients were self referred and probably more motivated to participate increasing the bias when you solely rely on subjective outcome measures.

The effect size is really small. Considering these facts I'd say the effect is nothing more than participants reporting biases.

The study reports there was no harm, but that's not what I heard from patients involved.

Overal a similarly disappointing study as we've seen with "CFS" and QFS but admittingly a lot more nuanced about it's effect, but unfortunately still based on a rather harmful CBT model.

Why don't we invest in proper psychological support instead of this type of CBT? At least in ME it seems to be ineffective and patient report that it can be harmful to them when they're suffering from post-exertional malaise. It's not for nothing that we see centers like the CDC, NICE but also the Dutch and Belgian health council change their advice about this particular form of CBT.

https://lnkd.in/dYVJBaQT

#longCOVID

https://lnkd.in/d6uss77C

EzzieD, Amw66, Arvo and 18 others like this.
  4. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's heavily suspicious. Perhaps they stopped using the actimeters because they realized it wouldn't show any actual improvement. Or maybe there's a more innocent explanation, but the purpose of sticking to your methodology is to stay above suspicion of such shenanigans.

adambeyoncelowe, EzzieD, Arvo and 8 others like this.
  5. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's deliberate. There are people in that list that have pointed out the errors in their research and they don't care as long as it brings the results they need.

EzzieD, Arvo, alktipping and 8 others like this.
  6. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

7. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

More precious research funding down the drain of pace style “studies”

JellyBabyKid, EzzieD, Arvo and 8 others like this.
  8. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

I wonder where they learned that trick? :whistle:

EzzieD, Arnie Pye, Arvo and 8 others like this.
  9. Charles B.

Charles B. Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Amw66, alktipping, Michelle and 5 others like this.
  10. Medfeb

Medfeb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Another potential issue in addition to the above - The study inclusion criterion for reduced function included either limits in physical function or limits in social function.
    Limitations in physical functioning operationalized as a score of ≤ 65 on the physical functioning subscale of the SF-36[20] and/or social functioning operationalized as a score of ≥ 10 on the WSAS.[21]

The question is whether some of those who have limits only in social function might be helped by targeting the cognitive-behavioral factors this study claims perpetuates them - e.g. sleep, low activity, unhelpful beliefs about fatigue, fears and worries, poor coping with pain, etc

If so, together with issues noted above, those non-specific criteria could add to possibility of seeing a positive signal in at least some patients and thus in the trial. Given what this claims to be targeting, it seems disingenuous to use such mixed criteria.

Maybe I missed it but didn't see them report these groups separately.

Last edited: May 9, 2023
    Amw66, Mark Vink, Arvo and 8 others like this.
  11. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

So, the control group were getting instruction on exercise.
    And the CBT group were getting instruction on how to answer surveys positively...

Amw66, EzzieD, Arnie Pye and 16 others like this.
  12. Hutan

CIS- Subjective fatigue is a subset of the CIS fatigue questionnaire.
    There are 8 questions, with Likert scales from 1 to 7. e.g. "I feel tired"; the questions relate to the past two weeks.
    17.3 is an average for healthy people (ME Pedia);
    at the 6 month mark, the CBT group was at 31.5 and the care as usual group was at 39.9.
    So both groups were, on average, a long way from being recovered.

The scale is prone to a ceiling effect, so it's much easier to show a reduction in fatigue than an increase.

The difference in the outcomes on that questionnaire between the two treatments is equivalent to one point on the 1 to 7 scale. So e.g. "I feel tired" - where 1 is 'no, that's true' and 7 is 'yes, that's true'. So, given all the participants have on average improved a bit, or become a bit better at managing their illness over the 6 months, how hard would it be for the people with CBT to be swayed by instruction that their focus on symptoms is partly causing their fatigue to answer just a little more positively.

We are definitely in subjective outcome territory here.

As for health care usage/costs:
    for CBT:
    The average number of health care practitioner consults in addition to this was 1.1
    There's also the admin cost of the programme.

for care as usual:
    The average number of health care practitioner consults (e.g. doctor or physical therapist) was 2.4

So, even if we just consider video and face-to-face consults by a health care practitioner, the CBT group received 8 consults versus 2.4 in the care as usual group. That's a substantial increase in cost for what is probably a largely illusory benefit. And, that is before we count the cost of telling people that they should ignore their symptoms and not trust their body.

Arvo, alktipping, Michelle and 8 others like this.
  13. Hutan

Thanks @Grigor, is there anything about that that you can share?

Edit - and when was the study undertaken?

Arvo, alktipping, RedFox and 5 others like this.
  14. Hutan

15. Hutan

The plan was to do a followup at 12 months, but only for the CBT group - which is completely useless.

How transparent can you get? CBT doesn't work very well in people who have been sick for a long time. There's a high natural rate of recovery in the first three months after an infection (in glandular fever). Therefore, let's do CBT soon after a Covid-19 infection, so that all the people who would naturally improve will attribute their improvement to CBT.

Here's the information about protocol versions and the timing of the start of the trial:

Grigor, EzzieD, Arvo and 9 others like this.
  16. Hutan

Re the actigraph - there should have been objective data on activity levels.
    There's no mention of the actigraph in the published paper. Both cohorts should have been assessed for activity at T1.

Arvo, alktipping, Michelle and 9 others like this.
  17. Hutan

This study received support from the Australian NHMRC and ZonMW - it's not good enough.

Table 3 of the protocol has a long list of things that were to be measured e.g.
    was to be assessed at T1, T2 and T3.

Grigor, Arvo, alktipping and 5 others like this.
  18. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This plot is objectively worse than those I used to make in GCSE I.T. when I was just learning Excel. Absolutely no care at all. Looks like shit. Screenshot 2023-05-09 at 09.56.30.png

On a technical note, the error bars are somehow not lined up with the datapoints themselves. I'm not even sure how you'd manage that (maybe it's an artefact of the plotting software). I have absolutely no faith in any of this work.

EzzieD, Arvo, alktipping and 5 others like this.
  19. Hutan

Just noting those error bars on the chart and in Table 3 are said to be standard errors. I've said before, if a paper plots SE's, then I reckon it's a fair bet that it is a rubbish paper.

(Edited - wrong)
    Standard error of the mean is the standard deviation divided by the square root of the sample size. Say the sample size is 57. the square root is about 7.55. So the standard deviation at T2 is 1.7 *7.55. That's about 12.8! The standard deviation is 12.8. If we approximate a 95% confidence interval to plus or minus two standard deviations, then the values at T2 on that chart should have error bars of 25.6 either side of the point.

Try drawing those error bars on the chart above. If I haven't made a mistake, and it's quite possible that I have, then the result means very little. (Bear in mind that the lowest possible score on the scale is 8, and the highest possible score is 56.)

(And if you look at the standard errors in Table 3 - they look suspiciously repetitive. I would not be surprised if there was a problem in that table.)

Arvo, alktipping, RedFox and 5 others like this.
  20. Grigor

I will discuss with this person is he/she wants to share their story.

Amw66, EzzieD, Arvo and 7 others like this.