Efficacy of aquatic vs land-based therapy for pain management in women with fibromyalgia: a randomised controlled trial 2024 Rivas Neira et al

Discussion in ''Conditions related to ME/CFS' news and research' started by Andy, Mar 7, 2024.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Abstract

Objective
    To determine the efficacy of two physiotherapeutic interventions – aquatic therapy (AT) and land-based therapy (LBT) – for reducing pain in women with fibromyalgia.

Design
    Single-blind, randomised controlled, equivalence trial.

Setting
    Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Multiple Chemical Sensitivity Association in A Coruña, Spain.

Participants
    Forty women with fibromyalgia were assigned at random in a 1:1 manner to two groups: AT (n = 20) and LBT (n = 20).

Interventions
    Two therapeutic exercise programmes, with 60-min sessions, were undertaken three times per week for 12 weeks. Sessions were carried out in groups by a trained physiotherapist.

Outcome
    The primary outcome was pain intensity (visual analogue scale). The secondary outcomes were pressure pain threshold (algometer), quality of life (Revised Fibromyalgia Impact Questionnaire), sleep quality (Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index), fatigue (Multidimensional Fatigue Inventory) and physical ability (6-Minute Walk Test). Patients were evaluated at baseline, 12 weeks (post-treatment) and 18 weeks (follow-up). The statistical analysis was per-protocol. P < 0.05 was considered to indicate significance. Effect size was calculated.

Results
    The mean age was 50 [standard deviation (SD) 9] years, with median body mass index of 27 [interquartile range (IQR) 25–30] kg/m2 and median symptom duration of 11 (IQR 6–15) years. No differences were observed between the groups post-treatment, but differences in favour of AT were found in pain intensity [2.7 (IQR 1.5-4.9) vs 5.5 (IQR 3.3-7.6); p= 0.023; large effect, Cohen's d= 0.8; 95% confidence interval (CI) 0.1-1.5] and sleep quality [12.0 (IQR 7.3-15.3) vs 15.0 (IQR 13.0-17.0); p= 0.030; large effect, Cohen's d= 0.8; 95% CI 0.1-1.5] at follow-up.

Conclusions
    The results suggest that AT is better than LBT for reducing pain intensity and improving sleep quality after 6 weeks of follow-up. AT may be a good treatment option for women with fibromyalgia.

Clinical Trials Registration Number
    ClinicalTrials.gov NCT02695875

Contribution of the paper
    • This paper provides evidence that aquatic therapy is an effective intervention for reducing pain and improving sleep quality of women with fibromyalgia.
    • The matched protocols designed for this study highlighted the influence of the environment on symptom management in women with fibromyalgia.
    Open access, https://www.physiotherapyjournal.com/article/S0031-9406(24)00028-2/fulltext#

shak8, MEMarge and Hutan like this.
  2. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I find any group exercise intervention for FM problematic pain-wise.

I couldn't walk through chest-high water without inducing later pain in upper body region.

Can't move my arms much, no lifting and the weight of the water is a deceptive resistance. Not sure what I would do in the chlorinated, near-body temperature water other than to move very gently and then get out and walk to the sauna. Sit there and repeat.

As the review states, any movement is better than no movement at all. However, to tolerate the noise reverberating off the walls and the covid risk level at the pool, I'd have to go there at 8am.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2024
    Hutan likes this.