1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Effects of attachment-based compassion therapy on brain-derived neurotrophic factor and inflammation among fibromyalgia patients, 2019, Montero-Marin

Discussion in ''Conditions related to ME/CFS' news and research' started by Andy, Nov 2, 2019.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Full title: Effects of attachment-based compassion therapy (ABCT) on brain-derived neurotrophic factor and low-grade inflammation among fibromyalgia patients: A randomized controlled trial

Open access, https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-019-52260-z

Trish likes this.
  2. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Nice introduction in the study, a review of what is known about fibromyalgia.

I would posit that the principles of attachment-based compassion develop organically in the person with fibro (in her own way and in her own time).

A sort of radical gratitude toward oneself and toward others occurs in the continuous quest to cope with the illness and the demands of living in the world outside it.

I'm not saying that this form of compassion therapy can't be taught, but I think it is a private personal journey of necessity.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
    Trish and rvallee like this.
  3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I thought Nature was better than this. Clearly not. Looking forward to studies on the effects of high-intensity Feng-shui on surgical outcomes or testing crystallized homeopathic astrologically-aligned fortune cookies as a prevention against, I don't know, headaches, or whatever.
    So multiple unaccounted-for effects were introduced. Good grief this is pathetic.

I cringe every time I see "booster sessions". You're not boosting shit, quit using marketing terms in poor attempts at medicine.

For giggles on ABCT:
    Almost fortunate that it falls outside of medicine but if economists and sociologists were allowed to get away with nonsense like this they would attempt to treat poverty by "teaching" people to get over it and just stop being envious that better people have more than them, or something like that. At least with economists you would get a minimal attempt at "all other things being equal", which this team clearly did not bother with.

Nature, why you gotta be like that and fluff up the quacks?

ukxmrv, Hutan, TiredSam and 2 others like this.
  4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

ABCT sounds to me very like a form of religious practice. I can imagine some people responding to it and finding it helpful, and that's fine for them. I'm afraid I would find it inappropriate and insulting having therapists thinking they need to teach me how to be grateful, compassionate etc.

5. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You know, when I first read the title of this research, I said to myself: oh great, the health care professionals are going to be compassionate toward you and display attachment behaviors (like the concerned care of a good mother, always wanting the best for you).

Well, no.

Not only no, but that you have to muster the energy wrested from constant pain self-care to be compassionate to others. What? Huh?

Today I had to go see my new primary care doc because I need a renewal of a drug I've taken every day for 20 years. Every renewal now mandates a doc visit, due to the opioid crisis.

There was nothing for him to talk about, as I soon impressed him as knowing a hell of lot about my illness and associated research.

And in this way, I got to talk about my fibromyalgia for about ten minutes.

Being listened to was the compassion. I felt better after the appointment in a very lovely new way. I don't recall ever feeling this way from a doctor's appointment. Of course, it was a strictly gratuitous visit and I was not in any crisis; those days of tearful office visits are long gone, it seems.

I may contact the researchers of the above research and suggest that they turn it on its head and focus on the promoting the effects of compassion from the health care providers to the fibro patients, displaying attachment behaviors.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019