1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Effects of a brief CBT and transcranial direct current stimulation on odor sensitivity: An exploratory investigation (2019)

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by hixxy, Feb 15, 2019.

1. hixxy

hixxy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30762663

Hutan, DokaGirl and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  2. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Here's what cognitive restructuring is (source: Wikipedia)

The authors appear to view increased odor sensitivity as problematic. Accordingly the cognitive restructuring will probably aim to suppress any negative thoughts regarding odors.

Essentially, patients are instructed to answer questionnaires differently, so it's unclear how the results should be interpreted.

The increased odor sensitivity could be protective, and instructing patients to ignore warning signals could be harmful. It is premature to decide that such a sensitivity is maladaptive.

Amw66, andypants and Trish like this.
  3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Are there CBT courses offered that train people not to be a dumbass?

Not that they would be of any use but at least maybe people would think a bit more before making their dumbassness undeniable? At what point does CBT get classified as a cult?

[​IMG]

Hutan and DokaGirl like this.
  4. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I used to have an excellent sense of smell. I found it very useful for making sure I didn't eat bad food, identifying the occasional fire, detecting when the dog had rolled in something stinky. So it's actually a very useful attribute to have. I'm very annoyed that my sense of smell has waned so much in the last 10 years or so.

JaimeS likes this.
  5. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Well to be fair the smell of bullshit used to make me more anxious than it does now, thanks to the efforts of these good people and their colleagues I am becoming more desensitized to it.

6. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That "connection" is that most MCS patients will be wrongly given a misdiagnosis of anxiety instead or being properly diagnosed. That's not a connection, that's a freaking mistake.

That claim has as many legs to stand on as claims that a bad personality gives you cancer. Yes, people have claimed that connection. No, it does not actually exist. This is lazier than a panda trying to get laid.

Trish, TiredSam and NelliePledge like this.