1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Effectiveness of an intervention for reducing sitting time and improving health in office workers: three arm cluster RCT, 2022, Edwardson et al.

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Cheshire, Aug 18, 2022.

1. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

https://www.bmj.com/content/378/bmj-2021-069288

Interesting that this increased standing time is not associated with health improvement nor productivity.

Comment on the study:

2. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think the only benefit is that you would burn a few more calories standing.

alktipping and Cheshire like this.
  3. BrightCandle

BrightCandle Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Walking is good for the back but its using the muscles, standing on the other hand in the same spot in my experience is kind of uncomfortable. The next trendy desk idea will probably be a treadmill standing desk and that might actually bring some benefits.

Mithriel, oldtimer, Cheshire and 3 others like this.
  4. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Why not a group trampoline to spice up those meetings? Or some parallel bars? Maybe a unicycle? :whistle:

FMMM1, Trish, Art Vandelay and 2 others like this.
  5. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My gut feeling is that the only benefit of standing desks is to create "busy work" for Human Resources people and to generate income for the various consultants, OTs and physios who make a living from recommending these sorts of gimmicks.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
  6. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am sure I heard about a firm where every Friday they had a compulsory get together where they exercised as a group. They did fun things and everyone enjoyed themselves and got to know each other.

Almost 60 years ago my mother worked in a factory where everyone spent hours standing in one place. The management gave them a small grant and premises to start a social club which held dances once a month and weekly classes. These got stuck at learning Scottish country dancing because it was such fun. All us kids went along too and it was a riot aided by an old record player, a tattered book and a pile of 78s. The men appointed themselves instructors and shouted out directions.

Fun is much better for health than standing desks.