1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Effect of vitamin B12 on the symptom severity and psychological profile of fibromyalgia patients; a prospective pre-post study, 2022, Gharibpoor et al

Discussion in ''Conditions related to ME/CFS' news and research' started by Andy, Sep 1, 2022.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Abstract

Background
    Fibromyalgia (FM) as a prototypical nociplastic pain condition displays a difficult therapeutic situation in many cases. Given the promising data on the effect of vitamin B12 in improving pain and cognitive functions in various nociplastic pain conditions, we aimed to determine the efficacy of 1000 mcg daily dose of oral vitamin B12 on the symptom severity and psychological profile of FM patients.

Methods
    This open-label, pre-post study was performed on FM patients whose diagnoses were confirmed by a rheumatologist based on the 2016 American College of Rheumatology (ACR). Patients were instructed to take a daily dose of 1000mcg vitamin B12 for fifty days. Outcome measures including the Revised Fibromyalgia Impact Questionnaire (FIQR), Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale (HADS), 12-item Short-Form health survey (SF-12), and pain Visual Analog Scale (pain-VAS) were fulfilled by patients before and after the treatment.

Results
    Of 30 eligible patients, 28 patients completed the study protocol. Patients were female with a mean age of 47.50 ± 8.47 years. FIQR scores in all domains improved significantly after treatment (total FIQR: 49.8 ± 21.86 vs 40.00 ± 18.36, p value < 0.01; function: 13.17 ± 7.33 vs 10.30 ± 5.84, p value: 0.01; overall: 10.32 ± 6.22 vs 8.25 ± 6.22, p value: 0.03; symptoms: 26.30 ± 10.39 vs 21.44 ± 8.58, p value < 0.01). Vitamin B12 also improved anxiety scores from 9.33 ± 4.30 to 7.70 ± 3.60, p value: 0.01. Depression, pain-VAS, and SF-12 didn’t improve following the treatment. The Generalized estimating equations (GEE) analysis showed the improvement in total FIQR score is not cofounded by the improvement of anxiety and patients’ baseline characteristics.

Conclusions
    This study showed a short course of sublingual vitamin B12, 1000 mcg daily, significantly improves the severity of FM and anxiety score. We postulate that vitamin B12 has a strong potential to consider, at least, as adjunctive therapy of FM.

Open access, https://bmcrheumatol.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s41927-022-00282-y

Starlight and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  2. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Would it have been that much harder to do a double blind study which would give results that could be relied on? At best this can only be regarded as a feasibility study for a meaningful trial.

As someone with ME who also experiences B12 deficiency, please do studies that give unambiguous results.

Note. The authors do seem overconfident in the usefulness of their experimental design, despite their awareness of its limitations:

3. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What on earth is a pre-post study?

4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A quick google suggests it's a study without a control group. I guess it just sounds better than non-controlled.

So, complete waste of a study. The whole thing where psychosomatics functions as a jobs program for people who can't do their actual job is really lousy and terrible.

I 'member when peptic ulcers used to be the prototypical psychosomatic disorder. Somehow the entire field of psychosomatics pretends it never happens and the rest of the profession just lets them. What a waste of human potential.

5. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sorry, I should have googled it myself, but the name was so stupid and so strange I thought it couldn't be real.

alktipping, EzzieD and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  6. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yup, no control group and a massive amount of placebo effect. Which is when it is "open-label." You know what you are taking, it's on the bottle and you can look it up on the internet.

Doesn't lead to any expectation of getting massively better or cured! now would it.

This isn't research.