1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Ear muffs for better rest

Discussion in 'Neurological/cognitive/vision' started by Hoopoe, Aug 2, 2020.

1. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I seem to have discovered something interesting today. I don't consider myself sound sensitive but I felt so much better resting while having my ears covered.

I'm guessing that this removes processing work for the brain and allows it to recover better from exertion.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    FicaR94, ahimsa, Midnattsol and 8 others like this.
  2. calande

calande Established Member

ME too. I used ear plugs, but I had to stop because of successive ear infections. Silence is key to sleep well.

Alis, AliceLily, Legend and 1 other person like this.
  3. Legend

Legend Established Member (Voting Rights)

I have had constant mild tinnitus since I became ill. I do not really notice it much, even though it is there.

A while ago when I was lying in bed trying to sleep, my tinnitus suddenly stopped for a few seconds. I heard nothing. Only the sound of complete silence. Something I have never noticed before. At first I was shocked and thought: "Oh no, have I become deaf now too?". And then I suddenly got a strange feeling. I noticed that the brain geared down noticeably, as a result of no stimuli and no input from the ears. It created a good and calm brain atmosphere. The tinnitus came back quickly and has been going on ever since.
    But I think about my experience of complete silence every day, and how my brain reacted. What a wonderful and strange moment it was.

After this experience I have become aware of occasionally resting my head by removing stimuli with ear muffs and ear plugs.
    It has not helped much on my ME / CFS, but maybe made me feel a little better now and then. As if I have actually rested.
    I take what I get so I will continue with it.

shak8, Midnattsol, AliceLily and 3 others like this.
  4. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If I want to rest properly I put my earplugs in.

I use them every night - otherwise IM or the dog will snore or suddenly snort and I'll end up wide awake.

During the day, when I'm trying to rest, it means that if there's an occasional aircraft or a delivery van speeding down our tiny road I won't hear it. If IM's about he can talk to the dog or put the TV or radio on without worrying about bothering me.

There are lots of trees and woodland about so in autumn the chainsaw chorus will be in full swing but I won't care!

I use Moldex Spark Plugs. The trick is to learn to insert them properly. If they're in right, you'll forget they're there.

shak8, meg22, AliceLily and 4 others like this.
  5. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I could do with some ear muffs right now as the water company are currently drilling in the road......probably will be going on all day.

Alis, shak8, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  6. Invisible Woman

Ooph! :ill::hug:

Alis, Trish and Legend like this.
  7. Diluted-biscuit

Diluted-biscuit Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Flare isolate make the best earplugs I’ve ever used (I’ve tried a lot). It’s much trickier if you can’t tolerate something in your ears though. Ear muffs wouldn’t cut down noise very much and would get very hot so I guess noise cancelling headphones would probably be the best bet.

Alis and Legend like this.
  8. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Are the Molderx Spark Plugs you use the kind with the 3 flares? Are they really superior to the average foam ear plug?

Invisible Woman, Legend and Alis like this.
  9. Alis

Alis Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ear defenders do cut down a lot of noise [compared to muffs ] but I can only wear them for short periods maybe up to 2hours as they can become painful to wear after a while [jaw and side of face.] I have heard noise cancelling ear phones are good but they are expensive.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    Invisible Woman and Legend like this.
  10. Invisible Woman

These are smooth, soft foam. I have quite small ear canals and find some of the harder foam ones, or ones with ridged bits horribly uncomfortable - especially when lying on my side for sleep.

Here's a link to an Amazon page selling them - sometimes I buy from Amazon, sometimes through ebay depending on best price.

Edit - the link shows picture

shak8, Alis and Legend like this.
  11. Invisible Woman

I wrote this on a different thread a while ago - it's the best method I have found for correctly inserting earplugs. Took me forever to figure it out.

shak8, Alis and Legend like this.
  12. Alis

Alis Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think I am going to give them a go. They have a much higher noise blocking rating than the ones I use - the E.A.R foam ones.

shak8, Invisible Woman and Legend like this.
  13. Invisible Woman

They don't completely block human voice frequencies - most don't - but the really do cut it right down. For example, if the kids several gardens away het shouty when playing I can't hear 'em with the ear plugs in but if my husband speaks clearly (not shouts) close to me and I listen carefully I can just about make out what he's saying.

Cuts about 90+% of the noise if my large dog barks loudly when near me but I can't hear him woof in the garden.

We get the occasional clattering chinook helicopter fly over and they block that (phew!).

andypants, Hoopoe, shak8 and 2 others like this.
  14. TheBassist

TheBassist Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yep. They’re great. Not cheap for worthwhile ones. Mine are £350 sennheisers

shak8 likes this.