1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Dr Myhill’s complaint to GMC about PACE authors.

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Robert 1973, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

He looked very much as if he was expecting to discover he had lost the piece of paper he scribbled a memo to himself on. But it does help to have concerns raised with Cochrane seen to be raised in Parliamentary Committees.

2. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My MP is SNP, a surgeon, was on health committee, but won' t follow up concerns re PACE/ GET etc as health is a devolved issue :banghead:

3. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

erm....presumably as an SNP MP he's representing a constituency in Scotland? So if health is devolved, health is something he should be getting involved with? Or is he refusing to get involved coz the PACE trial didn't all take place in Scotland? As the outcome of it is being forced onto Scottish constituents by the English - surely as an SNP MP he should be all for having a go about that......

4. Amw66

SNP will tend not to involve themselves in UK government for issues that are devolved to Scottish government- health is one of these. NICE guidelines and recommendations tend to get adopted, but not wholesale.

5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

That suggests he shouldn't be on the health select committee, if he's not prepared to take up issues that affect his constituents on health matters, even if the funding is devolved.

Annamaria, Louie41, Simone and 12 others like this.
  6. Amw66

Working on it. She is doing quite well asking questions re NHS in its current state . PACE got acknowledgement/ file is open but don' t expect me to rock boat without substantial new evidence line.
    Health matters go to Scottish Parliament if they affect constituents. MSP deals with these

7. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yeah, I didn't think much of him there, but under the tweet linked to he said this, which could mean nothing, but is a bit hopeful.

https://twitter.com/user/status/958428641108643840

8. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Latest on running total of complaints letters written to the GMC in support of Dr M is 60.

Annamaria, Louie41, Simone and 12 others like this.
  9. guest001

guest001 Guest

It was part funded by the Scottish Chief Scientist Office..

10. Amw66

Yes, and i believe one of the centres was in Edinburgh ( the only one in Scotland). The same one that successfully boosted wheelchair sales.

11. NelliePledge

Update now 70 letters

Louie41, Simone, PeeWee and 11 others like this.
  12. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Robert 1973 , could you post the full letter here? I don't have a Facebook account.

Louie41 likes this.
  13. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And are the replies about how PACE affected us somewhere collected?

Louie41 likes this.
  14. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

All the information about Dr Myhill’s complaint, including a template letter for patients to send to the GMC, is available here: http://www.drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/My_Complaint_to_the_GMC_about_the_PACE_authors

#MEAction is now publicising the complaint and encouraging patients to consider writing to the GMC: https://www.meaction.net/2018/02/09/have-you-been-harmed-by-pace-send-a-letter/

Annamaria, Louie41, Simone and 9 others like this.
  15. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

When it comes to people having been harmed as a consequence of PACE, some of those potentially most harmed are those totally unable to submit a complaint - those who have died. This thought prompted by the spate of recent deaths that have been announced of severe ME sufferers. I cannot claim to know here, only my thoughts, but I would think that when people have been driven to suicide, a non-trivial factor must have been the sense of isolation from medical compassion, and of not being believed. When I hear these stories, to me it feels like the PACE authors and their ardent supporters do have blood on their hands.

16. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I completely agree, and where ever in the world these tragic deaths occur it doesn't matter, worldwide PACE has had a huge impact.

I think everyone with ME could justifiably claim to have been adversely affected by PACE one way or another, and often more covertly from the way the medical professions, media, benefits systems, society, friends and family have treated us, rather than directly from undertaking CBT/GET.

17. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They absolutely do @Barry. People with most other illnesses just have to battle the illness . Like most abusers this lot isolate us from everyone and any source of support possible.

When people become so ill, their whole lives suddenly change, they usually get some support if not sympathy. It is frightening to find yourself not knowing where to turn.

Your average ME sufferer, with debilitating symptoms they don't understand or a have a clue how to cope with, potentially facing the loss of their jobs, homes etc. suddenly find themselves on the receiving end of BPS cr@p. Not only are they not going to get support from the medical profession , the profession will push treatments that actually make them worse and in doing so attempt to undermine any confidence you have left.

So just as your whole life and everything you've worked for is falling apart, they kick you in the teeth. To make matters worse you are totally unprepared for it- it never crossed your mind that you would be treated this way - why would it?

There's blood on their hands alright.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    Annamaria, Louie41, Binkie4 and 13 others like this.
  18. Sunshine3

Sunshine3 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Why can't those of us who are functional enough take to the streets in protest. I would fly to the UK and go out in my wheelchair if there was a protest organised. We can discuss it to death here and who the hell is listening?? The more I read, the less optimistic I am about the NICE update. We are invisible and remain so, chatting here while the psych brigade continue to ruin our lives. I'm so sick of the crap we're dealing with and I'm so freaking angry. Sorry for rant but crikey WE need to be seen.

Annamaria, Joh, Louie41 and 7 others like this.
  19. Dr Carrot

Dr Carrot Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is why I think in order for ME activism to succeed we need to:

1. Make sure that we are always trying to convert the unconverted. Talk among fellow patients is cheap. Convincing someone outside of this bubble is far more effective (though difficult).

2. Develop links with healthy allies, who are the people who can show up in person.

Joh, Louie41, Simone and 6 others like this.
  20. NelliePledge

Latest update from Craig Robinson on Facebook that 85 letters now received

Annamaria, Louie41, Simone and 8 others like this.