1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Does treating high blood pressure do any good?

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Arnie Pye, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This blog post is not new - it was published on 2nd April 2012 - but I remember reading it for the first time and being really quite startled by it. It is referenced.

The author discusses lowering moderately raised blood pressure and what effects this has on mortality. He has no quibble with treating very high blood pressure.

Title : Does treating high blood pressure do any good?

Author : Dr Malcolm Kendrick

Link : https://drmalcolmkendrick.org/2012/04/02/does-treating-high-blood-pressure-do-any-good/

MEMarge, oldtimer, Hutan and 9 others like this.
  2. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have only recently found out at a routine check-up at the surgery, that I have very high blood pressure and have just had to start on medication. No previous history, nothing in the family.
    But as with many things, I get the impression that finding out the cause is not a major concern. Even getting any tests done seems to be out of the norm.

MEMarge, oldtimer, Hutan and 6 others like this.
  3. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yep. Not interested at all.

MEMarge, oldtimer, Arnie Pye and 3 others like this.
  4. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting point re a mindset that is applicable to so much

who knows whether if the approach had been to see it as a symptom and be monitoring all blood pressure then having (what nhs seems to infer to the world is some sort of wonder database of peoples illnesses) actual monitoring of what people end up with short, mid, long term might have flagged up just by serendipity of the few who got investigated and illnesses or other causes eventually showing up.

could it be that these things could then have been used to inform and predict better?

and is the research on this behavioural stuff - now we know what we do - actually that good (or have people just not updated with the literature) and do such changes make such an impact in everything/everyone? Because if not then the worry is that same problem where a belief it must just be that one thing in too many ie not believing when someone says their lifestyle isn’t the cause means things are glossed over and because it isn’t in the industry’s interests no one is checking that was wrong and seeking to make sure that should that assumption be proven wrong it is being reported back to those who made those incorrect assumptions so they can get the % right in their heuristics etc.

Amw66, Kitty, oldtimer and 1 other person like this.
  5. oldtimer

oldtimer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wow, that's a rather mind-blowing article. Why is this not public knowledge? (Rhetorical question)

I love the Winston Churchill quote: "Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.’

alktipping, Kitty, Hutan and 2 others like this.
  6. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for posting the article.

I've been working through blood pressure issues for and with my Dad. He's been tried on a few new medications to lower his blood pressure in addition to one he is already one, and they all came with significant side effects. A couple caused dizziness and probably increased confusion - serious dizziness affecting mobility and greatly affecting quality of life. I wonder how many deaths and lost years of mobility result from falls while on some of these medications.

MEMarge, bobbler, alktipping and 5 others like this.
  7. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

8. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

that can't be viewed outside the UK - what's the gist?

alktipping likes this.
  9. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That there is a list of well known secondary causes of hypertension that all medical students learn.

In my day we screened for those things that were reasonably practical - full physical examination, renal chemistry, chest X ray, etc etc.. Not sure what the guidelines are these days.

MEMarge, bobbler, FMMM1 and 2 others like this.
  10. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From the link that @Sly Saint gave above listing secondary causes of hypertension :

MEMarge, bobbler, Hutan and 1 other person like this.