1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone here get worse in relation to stress?

Discussion in 'Post-Exertional malaise and fatigue' started by robertw27, Apr 2, 2019.

Tags:
  1. robertw27

robertw27 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was wondering how many people experience an increase in symptoms in relation to stress.

2. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I would have thought any illness would have it's symptoms made worse with stress

Aroa, pteropus, NelliePledge and 7 others like this.
  3. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Personally, I've not noticed any pattern between stress and symptoms.

OverTheHills, EzzieD, JaneL and 3 others like this.
  4. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I find stress is a bit of a woolly concept as there are various types of stress.

Having been ill for a long time now I've considered that this issue can also be looked at from the other side.

Usually a question like this is meant to elicit times when stress made the symptoms worse but it could also be that a worsening of the illness can cause us to experience stress as we try to cope. So that it is the illness affecting our experience not the other way round.

5. robertw27

What I mean by stress is the activation of the HPA axis, this could be mental, psychological or physical stress.

JemPD likes this.
  6. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is there a little status light that comes on when the HPA axis is activated? Or an app?

Not being a hospital lab I, and I would imagine many others, don't have access to immediate testing to determine what you are asking for, other than by guesswork.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  7. robertw27

Well I already know I am right about this I worked this out a while ago, by stimulating the adrenal gland two things should happen if my theory is true. The first is that there should be a very strong reaction during and after this test and the second is that the overall cortisol levels should not add up after stimulation. Both of these occurrences happened during the the synthetic testing I did on myself, for this to be a coincidence is so very unlikely. When I talk about the HPA axis you have to have a general understating of how it works and how certain events will stimulate it. What I am trying to say is you do not need testing in order to understand if your symptoms get worse in relation to the activation of the HPA axis. More so, I am not trying to confirm my theory as I already know I am right I am simply trying to make the fact that I am right public knowledge, as doing so will help out a fair amount. I have no idea how do go about this and I am failing miserably.

8. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

EzzieD, JaneL and Wonko like this.
  9. robertw27

I am talking about an auto immune condition where the immune system is targeting the stress hormones, completely different.

10. robertw27

you can read this if you want, it discusses what I am talking about in brief.

Attached Files:

11. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No.

Your statement is incorrect.

This is a ME forum, ME is currently confligated with CFS for political reasons. In some parts of the world it is known as ME/CFS.

Fatigue is not the main symptom, if it exists at all it is relatively minor.

Given the lack of understanding of what ME actually is how can a solution you claim to have found for CF, even if, and it's a very big if, you're correct, possibly have any relevance to PwME?

Dechi, Lidia, pteropus and 2 others like this.
  12. roller*

roller* Senior Member (Voting Rights)

what would you expect to happen after injecting a proper dose of adrenaline ?

13. robertw27

what do you mean by adrenaline ?

14. roller*

wiki:

Adrenaline, also known as epinephrine, is a hormone, neurotransmitter, and medication.

It plays an important role in the fight-or-flight response by increasing blood flow to muscles, output of the heart, pupil dilation response, and blood sugar level.[5][6] It does this by binding to alpha and beta receptors.

Every emotional response has a behavioral component, an autonomic component, and a hormonal component.

The hormonal component includes the release of adrenaline, an adrenomedullary response that occurs in response to stress and that is controlled by the sympathetic nervous system. The major emotion studied in relation to adrenaline is fear.

In an experiment, subjects who were injected with adrenaline expressed more negative and fewer positive facial expressions to fear films compared to a control group. These subjects also reported a more intense fear from the films and greater mean intensity of negative memories than control subjects.[42] The findings from this study demonstrate that there are learned associations between negative feelings and levels of adrenaline. Overall, the greater amount of adrenaline is positively correlated with an arousal state of negative feelings.

15. robertw27

Ok, I do not get worse in relation to the release of epinephrine, how do i know this? Because you can generally feel the sensation of epinephrine being released and my symptoms do not worsen during this process.

16. roller*

but it DOES have impact, the epinephrine, and its THERE with stress
    (for what i understand, and thats limited)

so you just dont "feel" it with stress (regular one) ?
    when can you feel it ?

(i wouldnt think, it makes necessarily "worse"... but seems, the wiki suggests that)

17. robertw27

this may also depend on the amount th
    Defiantly changes throughout the body occur during this release, how ever these changes have no impact on my CFS symptoms. In fact if anything epinephrine reduces symptoms. Are you talking more about the release of epinephrine happening in accordance of the release of cortisol?

18. roller*

ACTH stimulation of adrenal epinephrine and norepinephrine release.

yes... high adrenaline helps..

should be a normal physical response, to be somewhat mentally clear when there is reason (dangerous situations...)
    on the other hand - some ppl do then panic and act illogical...

robertw27 likes this.
  19. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My main symptom of ME/CFS is fatigue in the form of extreme exhaustion. It has been like this from day one. It most definitely is not 'relatively minor'.

hinterland, Wonko and robertw27 like this.
  20. svetoslav80

svetoslav80 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Depends on how you interpret "in relation to stress". Exertion causes stress so anyone who experiences PEM have an increase of symptoms after stress. Whether there's direct relation between the stress and the symptoms , I guess noone knows for sure yet.

Peter Trewhitt and robertw27 like this.