1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone have any experience with biofeedback?

Discussion in 'Other treatments' started by BeautifulDay, Feb 27, 2018.

1. BeautifulDay

BeautifulDay Established Member (Voting Rights)

Our 8 year old is still missing a lot of school between muscle spasticity in her calves and stomach, her headaches, and her low energy and the related emotional meltdowns. The school is very happy to work with us on any plan for our daughter (right now we are putting together a 504 plan). Her MitoD doctor is willing to provide requests to the school that will help.

The school therapist (a lovely person), was giving us various ideas of what she can provide for our daughter during school time (if the doctor writes it out). She said one idea was biofeedback. Has anyone used biofeedback? Was it successful?

In another line of thinking, we've begun to use positive reinforcements as a way of keeping her in school as long as possible. Today she made it through 3/4 of the school day. We'd like her to try to initially work through low level headaches, etc..... and try to attend as much school as possible. At the same time, we don't want her to push herself so much that she is in severe pain or doing any damage. It's something she (and we all) have to determine for ourselves.

What are your thoughts on positive reinforcements being used to entice kids to stay in school? If it was up to our daughter she would miss every single day of school.

Thanks!

Skycloud likes this.
  2. MErmaid

MErmaid Guest

Regarding positive feedback, we all have our currency, and you would need to determine what that is for your daughter.

I have been on the receiving end of NLP, Touch for Health, and a few other modalities. These tools are designed to lead a more effective life, and are not meant to cure a physical illness. If you want a modality that is more aligned with improving pain or some minor kinds of physical illness, then BioResonance is better suited for this. BioResonance is not intended as a cure or a fix, and it may not help everyone. But I tried it and so did my dog, and we both had benefits.
    https://bioresonance.com/

I feel it would need to be your daughters decision, as to what option she is interested in, and not something that is forced upon her.

I thought elementary school was boring and slow and offered little to no challenge. If I could have stayed home everyday, I would have. Junior High, was only slightly better. High School was a big improvement and I never wanted to miss a day, but when I was sick I stayed at home. But I thought College was incredible and I never missed any classes (sick or well).

I hope you and your daughter can work together and figure this out.

Best of Luck!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    BeautifulDay likes this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

My kids spent an awful lot of the day at that school stage being bored or not learning anything significant. So long as they are making progress in reading, writing and number, the rest is general knowledge that can be picked up just as well or better by watching educational TV, reading with an adult, playing number games, and observing the world and people around them.

I would not dream of giving you advice, as I don't know your child or her state of health, but I think forcing a child to go to school for long hours when she is feeling really too unwell to cope might not be a good idea. I think if it were my child, I might be inclined to set a regular, definitely manageable part of the day at school, whether it's 2 hours, or half day or whatever, so it becomes routine and not bound up in the stress of trying to push herself do more to please her parents or get a reward. And I'd get help from the school with stuff you can do with her at home like reading together. And if some of the time at home is really boring too, school can start to seem more appealing!

As I said, please don't take the above as advice - you know your child and her illness, I don't, so what I've said may be irrelevant.

I don't know whether biofeedback has ever been researched for such a young child, and what it would achieve if her symptoms are physical and can't be influenced by the mind.

4. BeautifulDay

BeautifulDay Established Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you @MErmaid and @Trish

Great information. It's so hard - determining whether to push a little or not to push at all and where is the middle ground? She is top of her current class in grades, with no work, so boredom plus fatigue makes it that much worse for her sitting in class. When she is feeling good she has boundless energy. She doesn't fake not wanting to play with friends or not going to her favorite activities.

I'm going to remember what you both said as I go into the meetings. As we keep tweaking her regiment, I hope that she'll be able to go to school full time next year. At the same time, setting her up with her major classes in the morning, will help her to miss less if she is able to make it though to lunch. So many considerations. We're in a school district that has 3 levels of math classes beginning in 4th grade. She'll prefer it when she is with kids on her level.

Trish likes this.
  5. MErmaid

MErmaid Guest

I can fully relate to your daughter; Elementary school felt like torture to me. By the time I graduated from High School, I skipped 2 grades. I took college courses while in High School, which gave be some hope for my future. When I attended college I excelled. I could choose my own cirruculum. I blew away my peers and classmates.

Maybe the answer lies in a customized educational plan where your daughter can excel at her own pace on each subject matter? Our archaic educational system usually caters to the slowest person in the classroom and forces a birthdate to determine a grade level. As a Mom, it’s your job to fight for your daughter so she can keep her spark ignited and her hunger for learning intact. My Mom fought for me, tooth and nail, starting in kindergarten up until the day I graduated from High School.

BeautifulDay likes this.
  6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

It seems to me that @BeautifulDay is doing exactly that. And doing it with great love and care for the particular needs of her daughter.

7. MErmaid

MErmaid Guest

Yes, you always state things so much better. Thank you for that!

Barry, Indigophoton and Trish like this.