1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Disorder or difference? Autism researchers face off over field’s terminology, 2023, Rachel Zamzow

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by CRG, Feb 9, 2023.

1. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Science.org

Disorder or difference? Autism researchers face off over field’s terminology

Rachel Zamzow

Excerpt

A long-smoldering debate among scientists studying autism has erupted. At issue is language—for example, whether researchers should describe autism as a “disorder,” “disability,” or “difference,” and whether its associated features should be called “symptoms” or simply “traits.” In scientific papers and commentaries published in recent months, some have decried ableist language among their colleagues whereas others have defended traditional terminology—with both sides saying they have the best interests of autistic people in mind. The vitriol is harming the field and silencing researchers, some fear, but others see it as a long-overdue reckoning.

Full article at link: https://www.science.org/content/art...ism-researchers-face-over-field-s-terminology

2. Shadrach Loom

Shadrach Loom Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It’s odd that the article doesn’t touch on the Aspie debate. It was only recently that Aspergers was deprecated from the DSM in favour of ASD - autistic spectrum disorder being supposed to cover the relevant cohort as well. This wasn’t universally seen as helpful, especially as “high functioning” is a strange term for people whose verbal, cognitive, social and practical skills are often poorly (even inversely) correlated.

3. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was originally diagnosed with Asperger’s, but personally I’m glad that terminology has been dropped - Mr Asperger was a Nazi.

4. Sarah94

Oh this is the same “silencing” bullshit that BPS researchers say about ME patients. It’s very simple - non-autistic autism researchers are unhappy that their autistic colleagues and autistic advocates disagree with them. There was a horrid article published recently about the mean autistic people being mean to the poor researchers, rang a lot of ME bells.

5. Shadrach Loom

Eponyms are so handy for complex conditions, though.

I’d massively prefer “Ramsay’s syndrome” to either ME or CFS, and for all I know Ramsay was a Duginist who regularly stole sweets from small children.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2023
  6. Sarah94

It’s not just a thing of “he was a bad person separately to his medical work”. He literally sent autistic children to be killed.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2023
  7. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's my diagnosis too, but I refuse to use it for the same reason.

8. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

OMG.

Peter Trewhitt, Ariel and Sarah94 like this.
  9. Shadrach Loom

Goodness, had missed that - my family member’s diagnosis happened just before this seems to have become public knowledge.

10. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

WOW! I didnt know that!

11. Sarah94

Yeah the evidence of this only came out in 2018 I think

Peter Trewhitt, Ariel and DokaGirl like this.
  12. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Peter Trewhitt and RedFox like this.
  13. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

(Context: I'm autistic)
    Autism shouldn't be viewed as solely a disability. Mostly people need psychosocial support for autism. Sometimes autism comes with co-occurring conditions like speech impediments or anxiety that should be treated. Autism support must focus on symptoms the autistic persons find disruptive, for example emotional dysregulation or social difficulties, not what society considers "weird."

MeSci, Trish, shak8 and 3 others like this.