Differential Metabolites and Metabolic Pathways Involved in Aerobic Exercise Improvement of Chronic Fatigue Symptoms in Adolescents..., 2022, Zhao

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Andy, Feb 26, 2022.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Full title: Differential Metabolites and Metabolic Pathways Involved in Aerobic Exercise Improvement of Chronic Fatigue Symptoms in Adolescents Based on Gas Chromatography–Mass Spectrometry

Abstract

Studies have found that the prevalence of chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) in adolescents has continued to increase over the years, affecting learning and physical health. High school is a critical stage for adolescents to grow and mature. There are inadequate detection and rehabilitation methods for CFS due to an insufficient understanding of the physiological mechanisms of CFS. The purpose of this study was to evaluate the effect and metabolic mechanisms of an aerobic running intervention program for high school students with CFS.

Forty-six male high school students with CFS were randomly assigned to the exercise intervention group (EI) and control group (CFS). Twenty-four age- and sex-matched healthy male students were recruited as healthy controls (HCs). The EI group received the aerobic intervention for 12 weeks, three times a week, in 45-min sessions; the CFS group maintained their daily routines as normal. The outcome measures included fatigue symptoms and oxidation levels. Keratin was extracted from the nails of all participants, and the oxidation level was assessed by measuring the content of 3-Nitrotyrosine (3-NT) in the keratin by ultraviolet spectrophotometry. All participants’ morning urine was collected to analyze urinary differential metabolites by the GC-MS technique before and after the intervention, and MetaboAnalyst 5.0 was used for pathway analysis.

Compared with before the intervention, the fatigue score and 3-NT level in the EI group were significantly decreased after the intervention. The CFS group was screened for 20 differential metabolites involving the disruption of six metabolic pathways, including arginine biosynthesis, glycerolipid metabolism, pentose phosphate pathway, purine metabolism, β-alanine metabolism, and arginine and proline metabolism. After the intervention, 21 differential metabolites were screened, involved in alterations in three metabolic pathways: beta-alanine metabolism, pentose phosphate metabolism, and arginine and proline metabolism.

Aerobic exercise was found to lessen fatigue symptoms and oxidative levels in students with CFS, which may be related to the regulation of putrescine (arginine and proline metabolism), 6-Phospho-D-Gluconate (starch and sucrose metabolism pathway), and Pentose (phosphate metabolism pathway).

Open access, https://www.mdpi.com/1660-4601/19/4/2377/htm

Peter Trewhitt and Midnattsol like this.
  2. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Diagnosis is stated to be Fukada but the intervention used makes this less than credible:

"The total duration of exercise was no less than 45 min, with each session consisting of a 5-min warm-up, 20–30 min of aerobic running, and a 10-min relaxation period. Heart rate was monitored by wearing an activity band."

The choice of entirely male cohorts is novel, plus there's also the somewhat Orwellian:

"2.1. Participants

The participants were from a high school in Shaanxi Province, China, a full-time closed management school where students with CFS are concentrated."

Almost all the intervention references are to the usual GET suspects up to an including Larun. The defining statement in the discussion:

"CFS is a more severe form of persistent fatigue, with symptoms such as fatigue, pain in certain parts of the body, memory and cognitive decline, and poor resistance to illness"

is supported by reference to Yancey and Thomas 2012, ignoring this 2013 criticism of that paper: Article on CFS Does Not Reflect Current Best Treatment Practices

There is no reporting of harms, drop out or comorbidity. The participants are reduced to chemical outputs.

"5. Conclusions
    CFS has become one of the major problems affecting human health in the 21st century. In this study, we found that 12 weeks of aerobic running could alleviate the symptoms of chronic fatigue and decline the oxidative level of the body in male high students. The metabolomic results indicated that the improvement of chronic fatigue symptoms might be related to the regulation of putrescine (arginine and proline metabolism) and 6-Phospho-D-Gluconate (starch and sucrose metabolic pathway and pentose phosphate metabolic pathway). It is important to schedule daily exercise for high school students."

3. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Was looking at the results of table 2. The fatigue score was 4.1 points lower in the intervention but the standard deviation beforehand was only 0.14? So that makes for a mean difference of 29 standard deviations! That's incredibly large.

I also entered 10.72 and 10.14 in the GRIM test and it didn't work out.

The fatigue scale used has 14 questions where you can score 0 to 1. So the total score is somewhere between 0 and 14. The 0 makes things difficult but I think we can ignore these for the baseline scores because all patients had chronic fatigue syndrome which isn't compatible with a total score of 0 on a fatigue scale with 14 questions.

There were 23 patients in both the intervention and control group at baseline. The minimum change on for the total score on the scale is 1 point so the lowest possible change for the group mean would be 1/23. With that increment you can reach 10.13 or 10.73 but not 10.14 or 10.72. As the calculations below indicate, it doesn't seem like rounding issues could explain this.

247 x (1/23) = 10.739

233 x (1/23) = 10.130​

I might be a bit too suspicious but there also seem to bea lot of returning patterns in the sd reported (see the colors highlighted below)
    upload_2022-2-26_12-20-58.png

Last edited: Feb 26, 2022
    Snow Leopard, Michelle, Lidia and 9 others like this.
  4. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I often and easily hit the maximum heart rate recommended by the authors just walking or even standing up. I go outside and walk on most days, as able on that day. Then again I'm not an adolescent anymore.

Right now my heart rate is 87 while sitting. It probably went up because I've eaten something. Standing up made it increase to 105. So I've hit my maximum heart rat just standing up. :laugh: The other day I recorded increases of a little more than 30 just from standing up after lying down which is consistent with POTS, although these days the increase is more typically around 20.

Michelle, FMMM1, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I think this is a clear example of the problem of using the Fukuda criteria for diagnosis. They describe CFS as:
    There is no mention anywhere of PEM, and it's clear that the students in the study are struggling with the intense pressure of the Chinese education system, including not getting nearly enough sleep, and the boys diagnosed with CFS are getting tired and have some aches and pains or concentration problems, and depression. That is not a description of CFS, let alone ME/CFS.
    Here's how they were diagnosed:
    So they actually excluded anyone with PEM, since that would prevent exercising as required.

Michelle, Lidia, Sean and 10 others like this.
  6. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Did they give any reasons for the 3 dropping out?

also it’s a bit of a bee in my bonnet but I spotted that they had to cut out smoking and drinking. Surely if that was common amongst all these youngsters just doing that will make them healthier after 3 months and if there were more smokers in one group than the other……….

7. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sadly this quote "‘If you are reading a study that is un-blinded, with subjective outcome measures, then you may as well stop reading it and move on.’"* pretty much says it all i.e. don't read on. I say sadly because I'm a failed chemistry technician - so the references to Gas Chromatography–Mass Spectrometry (pretty high end kit) indicated resources that should have been supported by sound experimental design.

They used subjective outcome criteria (questionnaires) these may indeed be "widely used" but they shouldn't given that electronic activity monitoring is both more accurate and deliverable (FitBit type devices).

Also, if you're going to say that certain things have changed, then best to have a comparable control group i.e. people who have comparable (low) initial activity levels (difficult to achieve) and are then subject to the same intervention.

"Pity" sums it up - some objective outcome data and this would have been worth publishing.

Thanks to CRG for the humours reference to
    Unfortunately CRGs explanation of the circumstances why led to the current views of ME/CFS, in the UK**, indicate a similar dystopian culture.

Quotes from the paper re measuring the outcome of the intervention:
    "The effect of the intervention has been measured primarily by rating scales of symptom levels, including fatigue as measured by the Fatigue Scale and the Fatigue Severity Scale [30]."
    [30] Jason, L.A.; Torres-Harding, S.; Friedberg, F.; Corradi, K.; Njoku, M.G.; Donalek, J.; Reynolds, N.; Brown, M.; Weitner, B.B.; Rademaker, A.; et al. Non-pharmacologic Interventions for CFS: A Randomized Trial. J. Clin. Psychol. Med. Settings 2007, 14, 275–296.

"2.3. Fatigue Level Measurement
    In this study, the fatigue level of students was used as the evaluation index of the effect of the exercise intervention. The fatigue scale 14 (FS-14) developed by [56] of the British Institute of Psychological Medicine is widely used to measure the severity of fatigue. The 14-item scale assesses two dimensions of chronic fatigue: physical fatigue (Items 1–8) and mental fatigue (Items 9–14). The participant selects “yes” or “no” for each item, with “yes” being scored as 1 and “no” as 0. The total fatigue score is calculated by summing all items. The Chinese version of the Fs-14 has good reliability and validity [57]. The evaluation was carried out before and after the exercise intervention."

*https://www.s4me.info/threads/nice-...s-now-been-published.6197/page-42#post-406768
    **https://www.s4me.info/threads/new-n...-2022-flottorp-et-al.24548/page-7#post-407591

8. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

I wish they had shared their data. In the abstract it says 20 and 21 metabolites, but in the results they had >60000 "peaks" and 1411 "qualified substances". Is it a language issue, and the 20-something are only the metabolites seen as different? If so I find that very low if the total number of metabolites were 1411 with sample sizes as small as they were.

Did they keep metabolites with 50% missing or null data, and imputed the other missing values them? That is a high threshold for keeping metabolites (I've used 20% when using random forest to impute missing values, but the most common cutoff I've seen is 10%). I'm not familiar with "minimum value one-half method" but I guess it is the half of the minimum value? That's pretty common as it is assumed most null or missing values are missing because they are too low to detect, and ideally you use half of the value the machine is able to detect, not half of the minimum value found in the sample. With so few people keeping metabolites with as much as 50% missing having imputed values could skew results a lot. But again could be a language issue and the 50% missing could be peaks that were not identified as a metabolite...? In any case, some information is missing here.
    They also used pareto-scaling, which I'm not a fan of as metabolites found in higher concentrations are more likely to be seen as important than values with lower concentrations because the pure numbers are larger (so not necessarily saying anything about biology).

Some of the fold changes are huge, but it doesn't say in the methods how they were calculated. Fold change is typically the mean or median from one group divided by the mean/median from the other. If the mean has been used an outlier could be behind the large differences seen. The fold change for lactose in the intervention groups is huge (there was also a difference between the controls and CFS samples at baseline), as the metabolites are from urine this is weird as lactose should not be in urine in the first place.

I'm glad they had a "standardised diet" (wish they said what it was) before sampling, but it likely takes a lot longer than three days to "standardise" the metabolome (in my master thesis where I looked at a 20-week dietary intervention with multiple blood samples taken, it too about four weeks).

Michelle, Lidia, Amw66 and 5 others like this.
  9. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Anyone able to have a look at this? I don't think these figures can be right.

Perhaps @sTeamTraen could have a look? @JohnTheJack

10. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Re: "2.1. Participants
    The participants were from a high school in Shaanxi Province, China, a full-time closed management school where students with CFS are concentrated."

Having consulted a knowledgeable person this is probably not as weird as it sounds in translation and what is meant is a 'rural boarding school' which are common in rural China, notably Shaanxi Province. However even against that background there must be serious concerns about using this student population in a medical study - https://fsi.stanford.edu/docs/boarding_schools

>
    "REAP administered the survey to 400 principals in 10 randomly selected counties in Shaanxi Province to collect baseline data. The survey covered five aspects of boarding: facilities, management, provision of diet and nutrition, student behavior, and communication between schools and parents.

The survey generated a number of new findings useful for increasing general understanding of the state of boarding school investment and quality of facilities and management in China's boarding schools. Mergers have occurred in about 38 percent of schools. In response to issues surrounding long school commutes, the government has invested heavily in boarding schools. In Shaanxi, 45 percent of schools in poor areas have boarding schools facilities. More than 15 percent of primary school children live in boarding schools.

However, the quality of boarding school facilities and the nature of boarding school management are so low that they may be harmful to students. Safety, hygiene, supervision, diet and nutrition are all serious problems in China's rural primary boarding schools."
    <

Last edited: Mar 4, 2022
    NelliePledge and Peter Trewhitt like this.