1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Dietary Recommendations for Post-COVID-19 Syndrome, 2022, Barrea et al.

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by Mij, Mar 22, 2022.

1. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Abstract

At the beginning of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic, global efforts focused on containing the spread of the virus and avoiding contagion. Currently, it is evident that health professionals should deal with the overall health status of COVID-19 survivors. Indeed, novel findings have identified post-COVID-19 syndrome, which is characterized by malnutrition, loss of fat-free mass, and low-grade inflammation.
    In addition, the recovery might be complicated by persistent functional impairment (i.e., fatigue and muscle weakness, dysphagia, appetite loss, and taste/smell alterations) as well as psychological distress. Therefore, the appropriate evaluation of nutritional status (assessment of dietary intake, anthropometrics, and body composition) is one of the pillars in the management of these patients.
    On the other hand, personalized dietary recommendations represent the best strategy to ensure recovery. Therefore, this review aimed to collect available evidence on the role of nutrients and their supplementation in post-COVID-19 syndrome to provide a practical guideline to nutritionists to tailor dietary interventions for patients recovering from COVID-19 infections.

Post-Covid Fatigue Syndrome:

Recent studies showed that a significant proportion of COVID-19 patients suffer from prolonged post-COVID-19 fatigue syndrome, with symptoms resembling chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS). The pathophysiology is complex and involves autonomic dysfunction, endocrine disturbances, and reactive mood disorders (i.e., depression or anxiety), combined with genetic, environmental, and socio-economic predispositions. At present, there is insufficient high-level evidence to directly support the use of nutritional supplements and modified diets to relieve symptoms in patients with post-COVID fatigue syndrome.
    However, there is evidence to support that the deficiency of some nutrients (i.e., vitamin C, vitamin B group, sodium, magnesium, zinc, folic acid, l-carnitine, l-tryptophan, essential fatty acids, and coenzyme Q10) seems to be important in the severity and progression of CFS symptoms by increasing oxidative stress.

Recently, several trials focusing on CFS patients have reported the benefit of antioxidants and lipids to reduce CFS symptoms. Indeed, the supplementation of glycophospholipid–antioxidant–vitamin demonstrated an improvement in the overall fatigue scores of moderate subjects measured using the Piper Fatigue Scale (PFS).
    Therefore, adequate nutritional supplements including essential fatty acids and antioxidants, or the same given in the form of a balanced healthy diet, could help in the control/alleviation of post-COVID-19 fatigue syndrome.

https://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/14/6/1305/htm

Hutan, Peter Trewhitt and Sean like this.
  2. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

Just skimmed this, and it feels very much like claiming territory. Basic stuff and some claims thrown in.

That said, nutrient deficiencies when admitted to hospital is common in some (sub)populations, and unfortunately common in hospital settings as well. People at home with chronic health conditions can also be at increased risk of malnutrition. Assessment by a dietitian can be beneficial in these instances, although it might not do anything for the underlying issue, it can just help the body cope or at least prevent the added stress of being nutrient deficient.

3. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Though not mentioned in this abstract, are we seeing with Long Covid the development of higher rates of various food intolerances than in the well population or is it too soon for people to recognise any food intolerances in the course of their Long Covid?

It took me several years to recognise my gluten intolerance, as symptoms are delayed by 24 hours following ingestion and only once gluten was largely eliminated from my diet was it possible to see the pattern of symptoms resulting from when I did eat food containing gluten and to distinguish this from ME in general as there is a large symptom overlap. Also for me other intolerances such as caffeine only seemed to emerge as my ME worsened over a number of years.

It is frustrating that there is so little reliable evidence or good research in this field.

rvallee and Trish like this.
  4. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I lost count of the claims made in that abstract that have no solid basis. The misinformation that swirls around CFS has been applied to Long Covid. Of course eat a good balanced diet. I very much doubt that more can be said at this point.

It could be worth checking out the references provided to back up the claims.

rvallee, Mij, Wonko and 5 others like this.
  5. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

I think this will be difficult, for the reasons you state. Also food intolerances can require other factors, like exercise, to manifest. Like people with wheat dependent exercise induced anaphylaxis (allergy, not intolerance but still).

If psychologists can, so can dietitians! :whistle:

The titles of some of the references I looked at yesterday didn't fill me with confidence at their relevancy, and the reference for nutritionalist being of outstanding importance in the multidisciplinary care team doesn't contain any reference to patient's nutrition status. There are guidelines for nutritionalist treating covid-19 patients, but it's mostly (exclusively? I haven't studied it intensively) drawing on guidelines for other things, such as needs of patients on a respirator, bedbound patients, critically ill patients, and due to weight and diabetes are associated with increased risk of adverse events also to remember these factors. Which you should do anyway.

Mij, Wonko, Trish and 2 others like this.
  6. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Yes, they talk about "post-Covid-19 syndrome" as though it is one thing
    and are defining it as
    And yet they talk about it in this way, mixing up all sorts of post-Covid health issues together.
    (By the way, I think the reference quoted for that hospitalised patients percentage actually said 80%, not 85%, although I need to double check).

This nutrition paper quotes reference 12 when referring to an eclectic range of symptoms of post-COVID-19 syndrome that includes chronic kidney disease.
    Here's the reference 12 that is cited:
    (12]Iqbal, F.M.; Lam, K.; Sounderajah, V.; Clarke, J.M.; Ashrafian, H.; Darzi, A. Characteristics and predictors of acute and chronic post-COVID syndrome: A systematic review and meta-analysis. EClinicalMedicine 2021, 36, 100899.
    It makes no mention of chronic kidney disease as a symptom!

And that reference 12 actually concluded about prevalence rates and symptoms:

This nutritionstudy seems oblivious to the uncertainty, saying
    and this!!!
    That's just from a skim of the first few paragraphs, before getting into the evidence for vitamin C helping chronic fatigue syndrome and so on.

It's a really shoddy paper. It deserves to be meticulously shredded. But, who's going to do that? It will just add to the morass of misinformation.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2022
    Mij, Wonko, Trish and 2 others like this.
  7. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I ate very healthy before and during PVFS for 5-6 years. I never lost my appetite and was so positive that everyone in my family and friends didn't believe I was even ill. I also gained 7lbs which was a lot for me. My test results (antioxidants, proteins, fats et) were well below normal and that of malnourished person.

I replenished all my deficiencies and still have M.E.

Sean, Hutan, Peter Trewhitt and 3 others like this.
  8. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Disappointing that they completely missed the most important: foods to avoid. By now I have read thousands of comments from long haulers. The only way I see food discussed, and it happens often, is in the context of some foods triggering symptoms and avoiding them. (Other than lack of appetite and anosmia leading to food not tasting anything)

It's not fully consistent between people so there's a lot of trial and error but there do seem to be certain types of food that commonly cause significant digestion problems or increase symptoms. And holy crap the only reference to one of the two main ones is advice to drink more coffee (to increase fluid intake). Major facepalm. The other is alcohol, of course.

Avoiding certain foods, and even more importantly identifying which cause problems is basically the only way this topic is discussed as being relevant and significant by pwLC. It's usually discussed as histamine-rich or "inflammatory" foods, which is probably incorrect but the general idea obviously is and would benefit from expert input.

But experts don't listen to patients and this study falls for the usual trap of being about what interests the researchers and the questions they think of, not what's happening to the patients. Once more, the experts are mostly shambling around in circles ignoring what the patient community has known for well over a year by now. This is not how expertise works, this is bordering on anti-expertise, where prior knowledge is actually an obstacle to learning from experience because it boxes in all thinking.

I'm really beginning to see a major problem with the usual top-down "here's a bunch of books, memorize all of it" method of teaching medicine and how it's the complete opposite mode of thinking that makes some people able to learn from experience much quicker than others. If the only way most physicians learn is through a class model with a teacher, a textbook and an answer key where answering wrong is clear and unambiguous, no wonder medical research is struggling so hard, this is the opposite of how learning from experience works, where everything is fuzzy and you have to listen to what patients are saying because they are literally the whole point of it all.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2022
    Sean, Hutan, Midnattsol and 3 others like this.