1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Dietary carbohydrate intake and mortality: a prospective cohort study (Lancet)

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Mattie, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Mattie

Mattie Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanpub/article/PIIS2468-2667(18)30135-X/fulltext

2. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Self reported questionnaires .....

3. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Carbs are not bad for us. What is bad is extremism, eliminating a whole food group. I heard someone telling about her doctor recommendation (a doctor specializing in ME and similar diseases) of ketogenic diet, and I cringed. We have no good evidence. The metabolomics study is a scientific in vitro study. I am not convinced that because the citric acid cycle does not work well we should not have any carbohydrates at all. In order to conclude this, further research and scientific publication is needed. These hypothesis need to be tested, preferably with a large number of people, possibly in a controlled setting.

4. sb4

sb4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Milo It depends on the individual, but I think it is worth it to recommend everyone to at least try ketosis or VLC and see if it helps or not. So I think that docs advice is good.

Personally my heart pounding is far worse with carbs and several people on the forums have gotten great improvement from keto, as well as with other diseases. Some people have gotten benefit from very high carb.

I tend to have the opposite opinion, that being the extremes are where you have the highest chance of benefit. If I was to put it very simplistically I would say it's easier on your metabolism to have either very high fat vlc OR very high carb vlf. Niether of which are in the study.

Keebird and adambeyoncelowe like this.
  5. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

While the media predictably have jumped on the high versus low carb issue what the study actually shows (ignoring for the moment other issues such as self- and infrequently reported diets and all sorts of confounding factors) is this:
    low carb with lots of meat = bad
    low carb with lots of plant foods = good
    In other words, whatever your macro nutrient preference, always eat your veges. Now there's an original idea :rolleyes:

Keebird, Inara, FreeSarah and 7 others like this.
  6. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

does any low carb diet really suggest replacing all the carbs with meat?? I eat more eggs and probably a fair bit more meat and dairy (goat/sheep not cow) than last year and my cholesterol and triglycerides have both reduced more than 15%. going low carb has increased my veg intake carbs I eat are veggies and pulses.

MEMarge, sb4, Invisible Woman and 4 others like this.
  7. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Yes, the tv news here has been a perfect example of sensationalising and misinterpreting findings. They somehow got this out of the report:
    'Eating bread, pasta and potatoes can add 4 years to your life!!!'

The report has been discussed a bit on the ketogenic diet thread here. (scroll down the page to post #232)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  8. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

this really is fake news

9. alicec

alicec Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Their own disclaimers.

And as already noted, dietary assessment was by self-reported questionnaire - a notoriously unreliable method.

So yet another poorly designed nutritional study whose conclusions can't be relied on because of many possible confounders. Why do they keep doing them and why do journals publish them?

Invisible Woman, Hutan, Ravn and 9 others like this.
  10. alicec

alicec Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Here is a very thorough analysis of the many defects of this particular study and of the limitations of nutritional epidemiological studies in general. Here is another consideration of the general problem of these types of studies.

11. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am unable to read the whole study but meat is not the only game in town, what if it were replaced by more vegetables instead. Also what meat or what vegetables, if the predominant meat was say pork but turkey is the ticket then this study would end up suggesting that carbohydrates are superior when in fact they just used the wrong meat(s).

12. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Worth a read. The more I read of scientific studies, the less I trust any scientific finding that makes a headline in a popular magazine.

From the article alicec recommended:
    and

Inara, Invisible Woman, Wonko and 3 others like this.