1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Diagnose Lyme disease if bull’s eye rash is present, says NICE

Discussion in 'Infections: Lyme, Candida, EBV ...' started by Andy, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://www.nice.org.uk/news/article/diagnose-lyme-disease-if-bull-s-eye-rash-is-present-says-nice

ladycatlover, Wonko, duncan and 4 others like this.
  2. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Wish I’d known this in 1999.

ladycatlover, rvallee, duncan and 2 others like this.
  3. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That was, if I'm not mistaken, the standard practice in the US by 1999, ie, a bull's eye was diagnostic. Oh, they qualified it with dimensions and the like because of STARI eventually, but regardless.

Evidently 1999 may have been a banner year in Lyme mishaps. That year I had over 100 deer ticks removed in a medical clinic - and received no abx prophylacticaly because that was not yet the accepted protocol, even in Lyme endemic areas.

I look at this a a net add for UK Lyme patients, even though some of the stuff in the release is suspect, e.g. "After a diagnosis of Lyme disease, a person will receive an appropriate dosage of antibiotics based on their symptoms"

ladycatlover likes this.
  4. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They're a bit late to the party! I "diagnosed" from the rash (and I'm not a doctor) a friend 10-15 years ago on the basis of a paper I read in the Scottish Medical Journal (article now behind a pay wall, wasn't then luckily!). GP of friend accepted that as sufficient evidence (the paper) and treated. Fortunately the antibiotics worked. Geez, NICE are slow and useless.

5. ladycatlover

Surely this is wrong from their (?)press release?

Shouldn't that read "If the ELISA is negative..."? I thought if it was positive that meant patient had Lyme. Or am I misunderstanding something?

6. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I never knew that journal even existed!

ladycatlover likes this.
  7. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I suspect this is based on the CDC's 2 tier testing recommendation. If you test positive on the ELISA, and ONLY if you test positive on the ELISA, you move on to a Western Blot. If you test negative on the ELISA, no WB for you. In the US, it is very difficult because of this recommendation to ever get a Lyme WB without first getting a positive ELISA, even thought the ELISA basically sucks.

Lisa108 and ladycatlover like this.
  8. ladycatlover

Well, it's a bit like the British Medical Journal, but Scottish. ;) Back then it wasn't paywalled, or at least the Lyme article wasn't. Or maybe I've just lost my capability of finding articles - not unlikely. :cry:

Arnie Pye likes this.
  9. ladycatlover

Ah, so NICE is as usual taking the cheapest option. Don't bother testing further if the first test comes back negative. Oh what a surprise. :rolleyes:

Thank you @duncan for your clarification. :)
    From fuming ladycatlover Grrr grrr grrrr angry argghh :emoji_rage::emoji_japanese_ogre::emoji_japanese_goblin::emoji_scream_cat:

ETA just to be totally clear @duncan, it's not you I'm angry with - very glad for your input.

duncan likes this.