1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 22nd April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Diabetes query

Discussion in 'Endocrine: Thyroid, Adrenal, Diabetes' started by Amw66, Mar 18, 2024.

1. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My mother in law had an emergency admission to hospital with Diabetic ketoacidosis .
    We await results of genetic testing to see if her T2 diabetes is really LADA ( latent autoimmune diabetes).

She has lost a lot of weight as her body has been in a catabolic state for a while , but she's doing well and is out of HDU into a receiving ward .

However I'm really concerned as her diet in hospital has not been a diabetic one , it's a standard elderly diet to address weight loss and features such wonders as Jam sponge and custard ( after which her blood sugars spike to 24) .
    Dietician visited today to advise this is the procedure they are taking.

I can't understand why there isn't a diabetic based diet which can address weight loss ( fat anyone? )
    .with blood sugar on a daily roller coaster surely this will make the diabetes more chronic ?

Has anyone else experience of this logic ?

Tagging @Midnattsol in case there is an evidence base

Last edited: Mar 18, 2024
    MeSci, Midnattsol, bobbler and 3 others like this.
  2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't think jam and sponge indiscretions over a few days will have any long term impact, however barmy they may be at the time. The NHS, as we all know, is falling apart and it does not surprise me that there is no sensible dietetic management but the important thing is to have a regular diet with the right carbohydrate content over a period of months and years at home.

MeSci, FMMM1, bobbler and 3 others like this.
  3. Amw66

Thanks @Jonathan Edwards . I've no doubt when she gets home her diet will be better and she will have much better monitoring in the community than she has had to date. Its the 4-6 weeks of jam sponge and custard that's a bit concerning.

MeSci, Midnattsol, bobbler and 2 others like this.
  4. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

When I've had the logic explained to me it is that most people are aware that diabetes can give low blood sugar, so they will do what they can to avoid that from happening and ignore the problems of high blood sugar. With what I'm reading I'm guessing the NHS has much the same issues as Norwegian health care: Lack of knowledge of the importance of diet and diet not being prioritised due to lack of resources.

There are diabetic friendly ways to increase weight gain, like you suggest by adding extra fat. Either by using full-fat products when available, adding fat directly to liquidy-foods or mashes, or using "fat shots" that are flavored supplements with a high caloric content from fat (such as calogen extra shots). Some of these are dependent on the hospital being able to provide special dietary needs or have agreements with a upplier of relevent supplements. Over here if one is unlucky and admitted at the wrong time it can take days, as food is not prepared in the hospital but has to be ordered in advance from another location..

I hope your mother in law gets the correct diagnosis sorted out and the support she needs from healthcare :hug:

MeSci, Kitty, Wonko and 3 others like this.
  5. Amw66

Thanks @Midnattsol .
    Glad that I am not going completely mad on logic of this !
    My daughter was given fat shots to build her up ( they are pretty awful ) . I suspect cholesterol is on higher side ( came down when she spent 2 weeks in Sweden with her sons family over Christmas as they don't eat sugary snacks... )

I suspect there's a balance to be found between quality of life and health .
    We've been told she won't be the same woman that comes home , so we probably have to be realistic over what her wishes will be for the years she has left .

MeSci, Kitty, MEMarge and 3 others like this.