1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Development of an app for registration and intervention for pwME

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Midnattsol, Jul 6, 2022.

1. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

Norske Kvinner's Sanitetsforening/Norwegian Women's Public Health Association has received funding to develop a new app for pwME. The app will provide coping strategies/exercises adapted to the patient group, in addition to a tracker for activity and symptoms.

Google translated project description:
    The project description can be found here: https://dam.no/prosjekter/utvikling-av-applikasjon-for-registrering-og-intervensjon-ved-cfs-me/

Last edited: Jul 6, 2022
    Louie41, Peter Trewhitt and Andy like this.
  2. Midnattsol

I have to say I am dubious about this. Symptom tracker apps already exists, and I don't see how they can provide any type of useful exercise tips (it doesn't say what type of exercises they are thinking about, but evein breathing exercises can trigger PEM so...)

Added: Another thing I'm dubious of is the evidence that similar type of apps have shown promise for ie pain and stress relief and that knowledge from those apps can be applied here. I have a feeling they will all likely contain very similar type information about sleep hygiene and such.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2022
    Snow Leopard, rainy, lycaena and 10 others like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Why on earth do they think people made sicker by exercise need to be prescribed exercises. It makes no sense.

4. Midnattsol

Since they don't say what they mean by exercises, it's difficult to know what this will be. The Norwegian word used "øvelser" encompass breathing exercises, practice mindfulness etc. in addition to full on exercise. But this can also cause PEM for some, and the target group is "all CFS/ME patients".

And continuing in that line - all patients are not in need of a symptom tracker, many of us have been ill for years and know our triggers. A digital coping app will not help when part of what doesn't work in day to day life are things outside one's own control.

rainy, Kalliope, mango and 7 others like this.
  5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What a waste of resources from people who clearly don't have a clue what ME is.

rainy, Art Vandelay, Kalliope and 5 others like this.
  6. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This.
    I seem to be writing " not a clue" a lot over the past year

7. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The project leader is a psychologist at the Norwegian Competence Center for CFS/ME. They have a biopsychosocial approach to ME, and promote exercise, therapy and even LP.
    What a pity!

The Norwegian Women's Public Health's Association does important work, has money to fund research, and is currently focusing on under-researched illnesses with women as majority/main part of the patient groups.

I guess as "ME-outsiders" they have no reason not to trust a public, national competence center and will probably listen more to them than the patients themselves.

It's so frustrating to see research funds go to waste and that when this association finally gets involved with ME, they start with the wrong end of the stick.