Thesis Develop Microfluidic-based Diagnostic Approaches for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS), 2024, Guo

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Dolphin, May 25, 2024.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This item is not available for download from eScholarship

Develop Microfluidic-based Diagnostic Approaches for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS)

Abstract:

Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) is a global health concern,impacting millions of individuals, yet diagnosis remains a challenge due to the absence of consistent laboratory testing methods.

Currently, diagnosis is solely dependent on doctors’ experience and in depth understanding on patients’ medical histories.

This thesis aims to develop an accessible, rapid, and cost-effective laboratory-based diagnostic method for ME/CFS, while also exploring potential applications in treatment monitoring and evaluation using microfluidic approaches.

We achieved this by creating a microfluidic platform to measure capillary velocity of red blood cells (RBCs) at controlled oxygen tensions (PO2).

Our research revealed that RBCs from ME/CFS patients exhibit impaired responses to changes in PO2, as compared to healthy controls.

Such PO2 - regulated RBC capillary velocity was thus used for ME/CFS diagnosis and exhibited an approximately 80% accuracy using machine learning methods.

Additionally, our investigation identified two potential drug candidates, Salmeterol Xinafoate and Xanomeline, which showed promise in improving PO2 - regulated capillary velocity of RBCs from ME/CFS patients.

Moreover, we found that a simple phosphate buffered saline (PBS) wash can recover RBC’s sensitivity to deoxygenation, implying that RBC-cytokine interaction in ME/CFS contributes to PO2 - regulated RBC capillary velocity.

In conclusion, we have developed a diagnostic platform for ME/CFS using a combination of microfluidic techniques and machine learning, offering a cost-effective and simple approach to ME/CFS diagnosis.

It also opens doors for in-depth exploration of the underlying mechanisms of the condition.

This item is under embargo until May 15, 2026.

Trish, cfsandmore, RedFox and 9 others like this.
  2. boolybooly

boolybooly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This reminds me of the late Dr Paul Cheney's observations and theories re: poor oxygen desaturation in the blood of PWME which he ascribed to a pH imbalance created by intracellular proton production in atypical respiration metabolism causing blood alkalosis as the body's homeostatic systems respond by providing bicarbonate ions to mop up the acidic overproduction from cells.

The observation that normal RBC desaturation is restored by changing the medium pH to nearer normal with a phosphate buffered saline (PBS) wash is consistent with Dr Cheney's hypothesis.

It might be worth exploring this hypothesis and the biochemical root cause of poor desaturation.

Velocity is not necessarily the only thing impairing oxygen transfer.

RedFox, Sean, alktipping and 7 others like this.
  3. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A difference vs healthy controls does not mean that it's a marker specific to ME. Does the test differentiate between unhealthy non-ME people?

4. poetinsf

poetinsf Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is the reason why I think that the control for ME/CFS should be not only similarly sedentary, but also similarly sick. We don't know if whatever they found here is also present in people who are sick with, say, flu. Biomarkers in particular needs to be present in, and in nothing else other than, ME/CFS.

5. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

6. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If they just used machine learning, and don't have separate training and validation datasets, it could just be overfitting (looking at irrelevant differences)

Dolphin and Yann04 like this.
  7. Yann04

Yann04 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They must. That would be a rookie mistake.

Please tell me they do, otherwise I’m losing a lot of trust in basic conpetancy.

Sean and RedFox like this.
  8. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's embargoed until next year so I don't know.

Sean and Yann04 like this.