Detection of Elevated Level of Tetrahydrobiopterin in Serum Samples of ME/CFS Patients with Orthostatic Intolerance: A Pilot Study 2023,Gottschalk ea

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Sly Saint, May 13, 2023.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Abstract
    Myalgic encephalomyelitis or chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) is a multisystem chronic illness characterized by severe muscle fatigue, pain, dizziness, and brain fog. Many patients with ME/CFS experience orthostatic intolerance (OI), which is characterized by frequent dizziness, light-headedness, and feeling faint while maintaining an upright posture. Despite intense investigation, the molecular mechanism of this debilitating condition is still unknown. OI is often manifested by cardiovascular alterations, such as reduced cerebral blood flow, reduced blood pressure, and diminished heart rate.

The bioavailability of tetrahydrobiopterin (BH4), an essential cofactor of endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) enzyme, is tightly coupled with cardiovascular health and circulation. To explore the role of BH4 in ME/CFS, serum samples of CFS patients (n = 32), CFS patients with OI only (n = 10; CFS + OI), and CFS patients with both OI and small fiber polyneuropathy (n = 12; CFS + OI + SFN) were subjected to BH4 ELISA. Interestingly, our results revealed that the BH4 expression is significantly high in CFS, CFS + OI, and CFS + OI + SFN patients compared to age-/gender-matched controls. Finally, a ROS production assay in cultured microglial cells followed by Pearson correlation statistics indicated that the elevated BH4 in serum samples of CFS + OI patients might be associated with the oxidative stress response. These findings suggest that the regulation of BH4 metabolism could be a promising target for understanding the molecular mechanism of CFS and CFS with OI.

IJMS | Free Full-Text | Detection of Elevated Level of Tetrahydrobiopterin in Serum Samples of ME/CFS Patients with Orthostatic Intolerance: A Pilot Study (mdpi.com)

Ash, Hutan, Philipp and 10 others like this.
  2. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Does elevated levels indicate a deficiency?

I seem to recall Ron Davis was investigating deficiencies in BH4.

Peter Trewhitt, Sean, Aroa and 2 others like this.
  3. Mij

https://www.omfcanada.ngo/genetic-and-metabolic-markers-of-bh4-deficiency-in-long-covid/

We have determined that individuals with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome are more likely to have pathogenic variants in BH4 synthesis genes compared to the general population, and we have also identified a corroborating metabolic signature that predicts BH4 deficiency. Oxidative stress during infection can also lead to BH4 deficiency, so there are many potential routes to the same problem. We propose to test whether these genetic markers and other indicators of BH4 deficiency are also present in subjects with Long Covid. If we are successful, we will show that ME/CFS and Long Covid have a common underlying disease mechanism that includes deficiency of BH4.

Hutan, Peter Trewhitt, Sean and 7 others like this.
  4. Mij

From Wiki:
    Tetrahydrobiopterin deficiency (THBD, BH4D) is a rare metabolic disorder that increases the blood levels of phenylalanine. Phenylalanine is an amino acid obtained normally through the diet, but can be harmful if excess levels build up, causing intellectual disability and other serious health problems. In healthy individuals, it is metabolised (hydroxylated) into tyrosine, another amino acid, by phenylalanine hydroxylase. However, this enzyme requires tetrahydrobiopterin as a cofactor and thus its deficiency slows phenylalanine metabolism.

My blood levels of phenylalanine and tyrosine were the lowest markers on my tests.

Ash, Hutan, Peter Trewhitt and 5 others like this.
  5. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

BH4 impacts other cycles and is folate dependent .
    Folate may be an issue too.

upload_2023-5-13_23-24-33.png

Ash, DokaGirl and Michelle like this.
  6. Mij

Tetrahydrobiopterin (BH4) is an endogenous cofactor for some enzymatic conversions
    of essential biomolecules, including nitric oxide, and monoamine neurotransmitters, and for the
    metabolism of phenylalanine and lipid esters.

Over the last decade, BH4 metabolism has emerged as a promising metabolic target for negatively modulating toxic pathways that may result in cell death.

Strong preclinical evidence has shown that BH4 metabolism has multiple biological roles beyond its
    traditional cofactor activity. We have shown that BH4 supports essential pathways, e.g., to generate
    energy, to enhance the antioxidant resistance of cells against stressful conditions, and to protect from
    sustained inflammation, among others.

Therefore, BH4 should not be understood solely as an enzyme cofactor, but should instead be depicted as a cytoprotective pathway that is finely regulated by the interaction of three different metabolic pathways, thus assuring specific intracellular concentrations.

Here, we bring state-of-the-art information about the dependency of mitochondrial activity upon the
    availability of BH4, as well as the cytoprotective pathways that are enhanced after BH4 exposure.
    We also bring evidence about the potential use of BH4 as a new pharmacological option for diseases
    in which mitochondrial disfunction has been implicated, including chronic metabolic disorders,
    neurodegenerative diseases, and primary mitochondriopathies.

Pub Date: 2023-05-03
    https://www.researchgate.net/public...rin_Beyond_Its_Traditional_Role_as_a_Cofactor

Last edited: May 14, 2023
  7. mariovitali

mariovitali Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Attached Files:

Ash, Peter Trewhitt, Michelle and 5 others like this.
  8. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If BH4 expression is high it seems it might be protective of something. They hint at this with oxidative stress, but it might not be that, or not only that. If expression is high but we can confirm deficiency then it might be that its not being expressed enough or that its being over-utilized. Too many maybes, we need more data, though I have not been keeping up to date on any of this.

Ash, Sean, Peter Trewhitt and 4 others like this.
  9. voner

voner Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ash, Hutan, ahimsa and 1 other person like this.
  10. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

According to the paper tetrahydrobiopterin (BH4) has not been tested in CFS yet. It is involved in amino acid metabolism and the production of nitric oxide (NO) in endothelium.

These seem to be the main results:

upload_2023-6-3_11-2-2.png

Hutan, RedFox and Trish like this.
  11. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://twitter.com/user/status/1695218895945130348

We have some compelling evidences of impairment in BH4 metabolism. I will stop until that study gets published or funded. However, I can assure the meachanism of BH4 upregulation is very relevant to current understanding of ME/ CFS.

Ash and Hutan like this.
  12. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://twitter.com/user/status/1695218335535824929

Regulation of BH4 is a very conserved process in a healthy cell. Deficiency of BH4 is mostly genetic and partly metabolic. BH4 deficiency can be diagnosed with increased phenylalanine, phenylketonuria, dopamine loss, and hypocitrulinemia. None of these defects was found in ME.

Looks like these tweets may have been prompted by @LarsSG

Last edited: Aug 26, 2023
    Ash, Hutan and obeat like this.
  13. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

A couple of typos, some odd phrasing and missing references. This version looks a bit like a preprint.

There's quite a lot of overlap in the BH4 levels, although a substantial subgroup of the people with ME/CFS do seem to have higher levels of BH4 in serum.

The assay was double blinded.
    Interesting about the possible impacts on mitochondrial function:

I'm wondering if some sort of drug might be affecting the serum levels - maybe an antidepressant? I don't think the paper reports on the drug intakes of the participants.
    There's a 1989 study - Plasma levels of tetrahydrobiopterin and folate in major depression
    So, the 1989 study found that levels of plasma BH4 were increased in depressed patients. Of course we are dealing with all sorts of uncertainties - were the patients actually depressed, or did they just tick the boxes for physical symptoms on the survey?
    But, in a 2018 review,
    There seems to be more studies suggesting low blood BH4 is associated with inflammation and depressive symptoms. So, I'm not sure what is going on.

From a 2021 study Tetrahydrobioterin (BH4) Pathway: From Metabolism to Neuropsychiatry the suggestion that BH4 can cause neuropathic pain, but low levels can cause neuron damage. It can be inflammatory and anti-inflammatory. It is suggested that the effect of BH4 depends on the oxidative status of the cell.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2023
    Mij, voner, Jaybee00 and 3 others like this.
  14. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Some issues with the controls in this study:
    The methods section says that the four cancer patients in the controls were disease positive controls:
    The results section says that the results from the cancer patients were excluded from the analysis.
    Table 1 lists 34 controls, 4 of whom have cancer.

So, 34 controls, but only 30 are used, which is ok, although it would be good to see the levels of those 4 with cancer.

The text reports a statistical analysis with 28 controls.
    The caption for Figure 1 talks about 30 controls: