1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

[Detection of cell death using] magnetic resonance spectroscopy: useful in ME/CFS?

Discussion in 'Laboratory and genetic testing, medical imaging' started by Hoopoe, Jul 14, 2023.

1. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I cam across this paper

Apoptosis-induced mitochondrial dysfunction causes cytoplasmic lipid droplet formation

A characteristic of apoptosis is the rapid accumulation of cytoplasmic lipid droplets, which are composed largely of neutral lipids. The proton signals from these lipids have been used for the non-invasive detection of cell death using magnetic resonance spectroscopy. We show here that despite an apoptosis-induced decrease in the levels and activities of enzymes involved in lipogenesis, which occurs downstream of p53 activation and inhibition of the mTOR signaling pathway, the increase in lipid accumulation is due to increased de novo lipid synthesis. This results from inhibition of mitochondrial fatty acid β-oxidation, which coupled with an increase in acyl-CoA synthetase activity, diverts fatty acids away from oxidation and into lipid synthesis. The inhibition of fatty acid oxidation can be explained by a rapid rise in mitochondrial membrane potential and an attendant increase in the levels of reactive oxygen species.

https://www.nature.com/articles/cdd201234

I wonder what this technique would show in ME/CFS patients. A wave of delayed apoptosis after a stress test, at the time of PEM, perhaps?

Lipid droplets have been observed in ME/CFS tissues.

livinglighter, Hutan, RedFox and 4 others like this.
  2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: Jul 23, 2023
    livinglighter, Sean and Trish like this.
  3. Hutan

Brain temperature
    Paper here used magnetic resonance spectroscopy to identify temperature differences
    Abnormal immune system response in the brain of women with Fibromyalgia after experimental endotoxin challenge 2023 Mueller, Younger et al

A daily temperature rhythm in the human brain predicts survival after brain injury , 2022, Rzechorzek et al
    This paper highlighted the change in brain temperature over the day - making it important that imaging time is controlled when evaluating temperature.

livinglighter and Trish like this.
  4. Hutan

5. Hutan

Just so we are clear on the difference between MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) and MRS (Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy)
    (obviously it can be applied to more than just tumours in the brain)

"Magnetic Resonance (MR) spectroscopy is a noninvasive diagnostic test for measuring biochemical changes in the brain, especially the presence of tumors. While magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) identifies the anatomical location of a tumor, MR spectroscopy compares the chemical composition of normal brain tissue with abnormal tumor tissue. This test can also be used to detect tissue changes in stroke and epilepsy.

How does MR spectroscopy work?
    MR spectroscopy is conducted on the same machine as conventional MRI. The MRI scan uses a powerful magnet, radio waves, and a computer to create detailed images. Spectroscopy is a series of tests that are added to the MRI scan of your brain or spine to measure the chemical metabolism of a suspected tumor.

MR spectroscopy analyzes molecules such as hydrogen ions or protons. Proton spectroscopy is more commonly used."

livinglighter, Michelle and Trish like this.
  6. Hutan

Chemicals in muscle, change with exercise or PEM
    I think there is potential in using the technology on muscles, to identify abnormal changes with exercise or during PEM.

This trial of a potential treatment actually used the levels of a molecule in muscle as determined by MRS as an objective outcome.
    Efficacy and tolerability of an endogenous metabolic modulator (AXA1125) in fatigue-predominant long COVID: a single-centre, double-blind, randomised

This old paper refers to various studies, including ones in the 1980s, that did seem to find evidence of differences in some people with ME/CFS. I wonder if problems in adequately characterising people with ME/CFS resulted in the heterogeneity in findings.
    Heterogeneity in chronic fatigue syndrome: evidence from magnetic resonance spectroscopy of muscle, 1998, Lane et al

livinglighter, Trish and Michelle like this.