1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Depression pandemic and cardiovascular risk in the COVID-19 era and long COVID syndrome: gender makes a difference, 2021, Bucciarelli et al

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by Andy, Oct 8, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Abstract
    The ongoing COVID-19 pandemic highlighted a significant interplay between cardiovascular disease (CVD), COVID-19 related inflammatory status, and depression. Cardiovascular (CV) injury is responsible for a substantial percentage of COVID-19 deaths while COVID-19 social restrictions emerged as a non-negligible risk factor for CVD as well as a variety of mental health issues, and in particular, depression. Inflammation seems to be a shared condition between these two disorders.

Gender represents a potential modifying factor both in CVD and depression, as well as in COVID-19 short- and long-term outcomes, particularly in cases involving long-term COVID complications.

Results from emerging studies indicate that COVID-19 pandemic affected male and female populations in different ways. Women seem to experience less severe short-term complications but suffer worse long-term COVID complications, including depression, reduced physical activity, and deteriorating lifestyle habits, all of which may impact CV risk. Here, we summarize the current state of knowledge about the interplay between COVID-19, depression, and CV risk in women.

Open access, https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1050173821001158

Barry, MEMarge and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

My bolding.

That list makes it sound like it's a psychosomatic or depression related behaviour change in lifestyle. It doesn't mention physical reasons behind such reduction in activity, namely PEM, fatiguability, and other physical symptoms.

sebaaa, Wonko, alktipping and 6 others like this.
  3. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am always dubious about statements about depression in chronic disease because symptoms of the disease itself are assigned to depression in the questionnaires they use. Fatigue, difficulty sleeping, not being able to do things you did easily before for example.

I remember a paper about MS where they used a modified questionnaire for depression which removed the physical symptoms of MS.

sebaaa, Wonko, alktipping and 5 others like this.
  4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Person holding an uncapped highlighter: "this has been highlighted". Sure it has, buddy.

Uh... Proofreading is hard, I guess.

alktipping, Peter Trewhitt and Hoopoe like this.
  5. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

When anyone purporting to be a scientist uses gender when they mean sex, I just stop reading. :rolleyes:

Seems to have a good policy when it comes to this abstract.

alktipping and Peter Trewhitt like this.