1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

DePaul Magazine: The Myth of “It’s All in Your Head”

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by Eagles, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Eagles

Eagles Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The Myth of “It’s All in Your Head”

https://depaulmagazine.com/2019/03/14/the-myth-of-its-all-in-your-head/

March 14, 2019

DePaul scientists work to unravel the mystery of chronic fatigue syndrome

By Abby Pickus

In 1980, a high school English teacher from Wisconsin named Pat Fero went on a trip to England. Healthy and in her 30s, she noticed something was very wrong toward the end of the trip.

“We were in this beautiful countryside, and we went to climb a hill to get a better view of a lake and I just couldn’t do it. I thought, I am really out of shape. I couldn’t get up that hill. My legs hurt, and I was dizzy and short of breath,” recalls Fero.

When she returned home the fever hit.

“I had a 104° fever for a week and a headache from hell. I had extreme pain in my neck and shoulders that lasted another week,” she says.

Over the next few years she got progressively sicker until she couldn’t climb the stairs at school without resting on the landing. Then she was unable to write on the chalkboard. “I would misspell things. I couldn’t form the letters correctly. I would miss words. Day-to-day communication became tough. That’s why I left the classroom. You can’t be in front of 20-some kids and seriously not know what you’re talking about,” she says.

In 1988, Fero went on medical leave—and never returned. That was the year she finally received a diagnosis for her suffering: chronic fatigue syndrome...

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  2. boolybooly

boolybooly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Its very heartening to see a constructive and common sense approach from De Paul researchers.

I have mono based CFIDS myself so I am glad they are taking a look at that.

3. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Didn't know Marcie Zinn also had ME/CFS. Sad that's mostly up to patients and their family members to find the cause of this illness.

Yessica, Webdog, Wonko and 3 others like this.