1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Delayed wound healing?

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Simone, Jan 9, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Simone

Simone Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is anyone aware of any research which shows that pwME/CFS have slow wound healing?

2. Denise

Denise Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am not aware of any but I believe people with EDS may have slow wound healing (and raised scar tissue).

3. Hell..hath..no..fury...

Hell..hath..no..fury... Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have extremely slow wound healing, though I’m hypermobile and possibly EDS.

Got a daith ear piercing, was told it can take up to 9 months to heal. Had mine 2.5 years and still not healed haha

Sid, Kitty, Simbindi and 3 others like this.
  4. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not so much wound healing but connected.

I wondered if anyone else finds they're slow to stop bleeding?

I don't have any family history of blood clotting disorders. I had a very recent tooth extraction that wouldn't stop bleeding. It wasn't an excessive quantity of blood, it just wouldn't stop. Normally putting pressure on should have done it but, no.

We tried sitting with pressure on the wound twice, then finally packed it and stitched it. Even then I need a couple of stitches as the first didn't stop it.

I am quite slow to heal as well and even minor scrapes seem to take much longer to heal.

I'm no spring chicken but I wouldn't have thought I'm old enough for this to be an issue. I'm not diabetic or, as far as I can tell, on any medication that should lead to increased bleeding.

andypants, Sid and Kitty like this.
  5. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Slow wound healing can be a sign of hypothyroidism (which can also cause various ME/CFS symptoms, especially fatigue).

Mij, Invisible Woman and Kitty like this.
  6. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't recall seeing anything like this, but it hasn't really been my experience. After minor surgeries, I always have to insist I came back for stitches removal two days earlier than recommenced, otherwise they grow into the new skin and I need further surgery to remove them. (I've never had a major surgery, though, so I don't know whether it would also apply to that.)

The opposite for me. Ever since I developed ME I've had 'sticky blood'; I don't bleed at all even after venous blood draws.

Hutan and Invisible Woman like this.
  7. Invisible Woman

Yep. True. I am as sure as it is possible to be without going and having a test that my T4 levels are about right at the moment.

Mij, Sarah94 and Kitty like this.
  8. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Anyone taking fish oils regularly might have issues with bleeding. This is the case for me when they draw blood.

Invisible Woman likes this.
  9. Invisible Woman

Ah! That might be it. I've been taking fish oils as per my consultant's recommendations for over 20 years.

Mij likes this.
  10. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've read contradictory reports on this issue, but from my experience is that it does thin my blood.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28552094/

11. Shinygleamy

Shinygleamy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Me and my mum both have slow wound healing, from the M.E. as far as i know. Particularly if i get any cuts on my lower legs and feet. I also had ear piercings thattook forever to heal. I used a lot of savlon, cider vinegar and aloe vera in rotation

12. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

h

My grandfather and cousin both had problems wit bleeding when getting teeth out to the extent that my cousin automatically goes to hospital to get one out now. Apparently it is something to do with the blood vessels to the teeth.