1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Deadly Chinese poultry flu could spark worldwide pandemic

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Ron, Jun 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Ron

Ron Established Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/0/deadly-chinese-poultry-flu-could-spark-worldwide-pandemic/

Excerpts of the article:

"A new strain of bird flu which kills 38 per cent of those it infects has been identified by the deputy chief medical officer for England as the most likely candidate to spark a worldwide flu pandemic."

"H7N9 can not yet be passed from one person to another but experiments on animals have shown that it was just three mutations away from being able to do so."

"People who contract H7N9 develop a high fever, cough and shortness of breath and it can rapidly progress into severe pneumonia. Those with the severe form of the disease develop acute respiratory distress syndrome – where the lungs cannot provide the body with enough oxygen – septic shock and multi-organ failure."

"The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) also ranks H7N9 number one on its influenza risk assessment tool as having the potential to cause a pandemic. The risk of it mutating into a pandemic virus is judged “moderate to high”.

pteropus, AliceLily, merylg and 2 others like this.
  2. Hip

Hip Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sounds cataclysmic; but at least with 38% of the human race wiped out, by the laws of supply and demand, property prices will fall to a more sensible level!

Indigophoton, helen1, Lisa108 and 8 others like this.
  3. Ron

Ron Established Member (Voting Rights)

I liked your post because I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and rent and am about to be forced out of the area due to high costs. I just received a 20% rent increase.
    So I would never desire a pandemic but I would sure like to see something transpire to bring some sense to an out of control, bubblelishes housing / rental market.

4. AliceLily

AliceLily Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I liked your post in agreement about the high property and rental prices but hope of course no one dies from what sounds like a terrible flu.

Property and rental are high where I am too. I had to move to a smaller place last year, very concerning.

Indigophoton, merylg, Ron and 2 others like this.
  5. Hip

Hip Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Of course, it's just a bit of black humour.

merylg, AliceLily, Ron and 1 other person like this.