1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

David Tuller - Trial By Error: The Shopping Bag Study; and New York State’s Revamped Website

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Eagles, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Eagles

Eagles Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Trial By Error: The Shopping Bag Study; and New York State’s Revamped Website

24 April 2018

By David Tuller, DrPH

http://www.virology.ws/2018/04/24/t...g-study-and-new-york-states-revamped-website/

And now, from our good friends in the psychology department at the University of Bath, comes the shopping bag study we’ve all been waiting for. Here’s some information recently disseminated by the university:

The purpose of this study is to look at how people with CFS/ME respond when asked to do a physically exerting task, and what thoughts and feelings they have while they are doing the task. We would like to compare responses to people without CFS/ME…

If selected, you will be asked to complete some questionnaires. These questionnaires will ask you about various things such as fatigue and mood. You will be given the choice to complete them online or have paper copies posted to you…

You will also be asked to attend a one-off testing session which will last no longer than an hour and during which you will be asked to complete a practical task. The task will involve carrying a shopping bag. This will be recorded and you will be asked to watch this back and answer some questions about it…

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    FreeSarah, ahimsa, Woolie and 23 others like this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

@Eagles , please could you edit your post so that it includes at most 2-3 paragraphs. I'm fairly confident that @dave30th won't complain about copyright issues in this regard, but it's generally good practice to use, and also encourages more traffic to Dave's blog. :)

BruceInOz, Hutan, Forbin and 14 others like this.
  4. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I love the hard hitting bluntness of David's articles, these paragraphs stood out in that regard

5. pteropus

pteropus Senior Member (Voting Rights)

the Shopping Bag Study made me think of those fatuous suggestions to 'get a new haircut' or 'buy a new dress' when you're feeling a little low ...

Forbin, Arnie Pye, Melanie and 10 others like this.
  6. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

As long as they keep setting themselves up DT is going to keep scoring the goals/hitting them for six/knocking out of the park

Forbin, Melanie, Webdog and 6 others like this.
  7. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Futile thought but I'd like to know how people considering signing up for this mess, I mean study, can be warned off -- that it would only be used to create nonsense through disingenuous interpretations.

8. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I just feel so sorry for which ever young researcher has been persuaded that this might be a good idea. :(

9. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I feel when more sorry for the patients that will be persuaded. Especially, when the penny drops that they've been used to further efforts in trivializing the condition. Assuming they select patients with ME, of course

10. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

The bag design, approved by the ethics committee:

upload_2018-4-24_21-47-55.png

11. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes I did immediately worry on that score myself. Are they a well intentioned but misled pawn?

12. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Have the inherent risks of shopping bag research taught us nothing?

[​IMG]

13. Gday!

Gday! Established Member

14. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

With good news, like New York State’s Revamped Website, I feel like I can really under-appreciate it until I see it in one of Tuller's blogs.

15. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Above link is to http://wames.org.uk/cms-english/201...y-aka-hypochondria-common-in-people-with-cfs/
    Study paywalled at https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/papt.12118

16. Alvin

Luther Blissett and Trish like this.
  17. FreeSarah

FreeSarah Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's weird. I have that exact same symbol tattooed on my arse

Joh, Barry, Luther Blissett and 5 others like this.
  18. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I do wish someone would do a survey to ascertain what proportion of research psychologists report results in a coherent and meaningful manner.

To the ignorant it appears that 50 of the 45 people studied had above normal levels of anxiety.

19. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

If I'm reading that correctly, those figures are for the same test and same set of data and no patient can belong to both groups, since you can't be at the same time in the clinical and subclinical ranges, unless these overlap??? So they appear to have performed the miracle of spontaneous generation and created 5 patients out of thin air.

Hutan, Joh, adambeyoncelowe and 15 others like this.
  20. Alvin

Not thin air, they are probably Schrödinger's patients :rofl:

Hutan, Joh, adambeyoncelowe and 9 others like this.