1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

David Tuller: Trial By Error: My Letter to MP Monaghan About BMJ Studies

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Kalliope, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My Letter to MP Monaghan About BMJ Studies

This morning, I sent an e-mail about BMJ to Scottish National Party MP Carol Monaghan. MP Monaghan, a science teacher by profession, has a keen interest in research accountability as well as in the plight of ME/CFS patients. In February, she organized a hearing in the House of Commons on the flaws of the PACE trial. During that event, she referred to PACE as “one of the biggest medical scandals of the 21st century”—an undoubtedly accurate assessment even though the century still has a long way to go. In March, I posted a Q-and-A with her on Virology Blog.

In today’s e-mail to MP Monaghan, posted below, I alerted her to BMJ’s apparently casual approach toward violations of scientific principles in high-impact studies on children. As with the NICE e-mail, I cc’d Fiona Godlee.

TiredSam, Skycloud, sea and 29 others like this.
  2. Luther Blissett

Luther Blissett Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@dave30th

Third para typo: "So has Fiona Godlee, editor in child of The BMJ and editorial director at BMJ Company."

Good letter. I hope Dr Brown is not run over by a glacier before he can finish his investigation.

TiredSam, Skycloud, Forbin and 9 others like this.
  3. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

One (two?) of the biggest pediatric medical scandals of the 21st century?

4. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've been arguing in favor of "one of the biggest medical scandals of the millennium" rather than just the 21st century.

TiredSam, Skycloud, Samuel and 16 others like this.
  5. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's beginning to look like there may be a bunch of biggest medical scandals. ME/CFS, Lyme, Periodic Paralysis...Who knew humans could not only be so corrupt/incompetent/inert, but turns out there could be so many vying for this lofty goal.

I am torn between contestants.

6. dave30th

I didn't know when I sent my note to her that she was making an appeal today...

7. Stewart

Stewart Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@dave30th - I hope you won't take this as a criticism (as there's no good reason why you should be expected to be au fait with the etiquette of how to refer to British Parliamentarians) but the correct appellation for Carol Monaghan is just 'Mrs Monaghan' (or if you're addressing her at the start of a letter/email then 'Mrs Monaghan MP') rather than "MP Monaghan". But thanks very much for going to the effort of keeping her informed.

8. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:laugh:

I'm sure that is an exaggeration, just like those the rumors that if you stand too close to him your twin will age faster than you do.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  9. dave30th

@Stewart Thanks I tend to get UK formalities wrong.

10. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

One of the biggest scandals in the history of modern science-based medicine. i.e. The last 150 years.

11. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Great article as always :)

I liked the comment about legal action, the exact thing i was thinking.
    I don't know if its possible, what it would cost and if there is any legal basis for it but its worth keeping in mind.

12. dave30th

@Alvin I guess that's for the lawyers to figure out. There are probably different legal thresholds required in different countries for filing class action lawsuits, for example, to have a possibility of prevailing. In this case, on the part of the journals, it is clearly willful ignorance or worse.

andypants, EzzieD, Trish and 2 others like this.
  13. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Indeed, though the biggest problem is how would we ever pay for legal action.
    And we would have to determine if any laws were broken, which ones and how strong is the evidence.

Ironically i am a great believer in the adage that "responsible people don't need rules", but when dealing with irresponsibility sometimes it can be a path to righting wrongs :emoji_face_palm:

All that said i do hope the political route will bear fruit, the PACErs are determined to use reality denial and obfuscation to the bitter end at any cost...