1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Data suggest severe pediatric asthma cases dropping massively as a result of pandemic

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by rvallee, Jun 23, 2021.

1. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

mango, Ron, Sly Saint and 14 others like this.
  2. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Please forgive my ignorance but what does BOPIC stand for - as in "BIPOC children" in the 3rd tweet.

Peter Trewhitt and Wonko like this.
  3. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A predicted outcome from the pandemic and lockdowns was less air pollution. It's known that breathing problems are caused/exacerbated by living near busy roads.

So, has medicine/science harbored another refrigerator mother scenario? Mom isn't cleaning the house enough, so the dust has caused Junior's asthma. Blame the family and home life for all the ills.

Having lived with the rules and regimen of allergy/asthma controls for decades, I find this very interesting. I think some of the old wisdom is sound though.

What still has to be more thoroughly acknowledged by medicine in general is the fact that air pollution does take a toll. And, that outside air quality can really affect breathing.

ETA: I know this last bit from experience, as when I discuss outdoor pollution as a factor in asthma, due to industrial activity, it is dismissed or downplayed.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
    Simbindi, Ron, Lidia and 8 others like this.
  4. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

BIPOC = Black, Indigenous, (and) People of Colour is one possibility I found.

Simbindi, alktipping, Sarah94 and 4 others like this.
  5. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

As the twitter thread suggests, another outcome of less social contact was less colds and flus. I had fairly bad childhood asthma, and specific allergies would trigger it. But most of the times when I had serious attacks, respiratory infections were involved.

I remember times pre-Covid-19 when everyone coming off the plane would be screened for fevers with thermal imaging cameras - I've no idea how effective that was. But, with Covid-19, we've certainly seen how effective border control can be at preventing pathogens spreading. Something quick like that thermal screening could be a very good thing to have at borders permanently, coupled with a quarantine system. Although the human immune system might need some challenges, I'm sure we are exposed to a lot more pathogens these days with the frequency of international and domestic travel and a non-convalescing culture.

Simbindi, Ron, Arnie Pye and 7 others like this.
  6. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Indeed, less social contact = less flu and colds, less asthma flares.

The Pandemic will provide research opportunities for decades.

Simbindi, Ron, Hutan and 4 others like this.
  7. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There was a study done looking at pollution as a cause of childhood asthma. In another stunning divergence from good research methodology they looked at children from urban environments and from rural areas and found no difference. They assumed that rural children were faced with less pollution but relatives who live in a rural area have to take their children everywhere by car. Going to school, going to the sports field, going to the park, everything.

During lockdown no one went anywhere so much less travel by car and bus.

Simbindi and DokaGirl like this.