1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

(Daily Telegraph) “How I became a target for the ME militants” by Dr Michael Fitzpatrick

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Dolphin, Sep 26, 2021.

1. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You can read the full 2002 article here: https://bjgp.org/content/bjgp/52/478/432.full.pdf It begins on page 8 of the PDF.

Actually, the original British Journal of General Practice article was titled "The Dangers of Cartesian Fundamentalism," not "Cartesian Dualism," but earlier versions of the article had been published in Spiked and The Guardian a couple of months before, so perhaps "Dualism" somehow got turned into "Fundamentalism," along the way.

Anyway, the article begins auspiciously enough with a quote from everyone's favorite American-born Canadian historian, author, BDSM authority, and cross-appointed Professor of Psychiatry (who is neither a psychiatrist nor any other kind of physician), Edward Shorter, FRSC.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
  2. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Federal Road Safety Commission?

3. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Cool, yet another previous unknown for me to "enjoy". Before I start reading through some of the previous discussions, the minor typo must have fired a synapse off in my cheeky humour centre. I'm sure this joke* is old, but in case not:

As a cross-appointed Professor of Psychiatry, shouldn't that be... BDSM-V authority?

(Cue CSI Miami music)

*If I'm running with this, "gag" would have been the better word choice ;):thumbup:

4. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
    cfsandmore, TiredSam, Sean and 5 others like this.
  5. Suffolkres

Suffolkres Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2022
    MEMarge, Arnie Pye, ukxmrv and 12 others like this.
  6. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Excellent posts by Max Gallagher. :thumbup:

7. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The link didn't go to a page on the second one, but I found this article by him in same publication (following a court case where a soldier who fought in the GUlf War won on his osteoperosis being associated with a vaccine given for the war) interesting: https://www.spiked-online.com/2003/05/07/gulf-war-syndrome-the-sequel/

I don't think I'm reading into some of the inferences made suggesting ambulance chasing and every war has its own syndrome these days and now even before the war has started you have some army members spending the run-up focusing on their kit not being up to scratch etc etc..

Peter Trewhitt and Lou B Lou like this.