1. Guest, our 'News in Brief' post for w/c 10th June can be found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Current Concepts in Diagnosis and Treatment of Functional Neurological Disorders, Espay et al, 2018

Discussion in 'Health News and Research unrelated to ME/CFS' started by Indigophoton, Jun 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Indigophoton

Indigophoton Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is a review article. I'm posting it for background reference, and because the description of FND signs in the paper doesn't look anything like ME (not to say that there isn't overlap, but this set of signs doesn't capture or describe ME. It sounds distinct and rather different).
    https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamaneurology/fullarticle/2682656?

2. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

this is just the distorted reasoning for empire building . tell me of any one doing extreme physical task who does not get shaking in the effected muscles . as far as facial tick are concerned there are potentially many reasons for them I had trigeminal nerve pain for nearly a decade that caused many tics . muscles that are not receiving enough energy for varying reasons will not continuously perform in the exact same way . and anyone who lives with chronic pain can tell you they adjust their posture to try and find a less painful position . I doubt that there is any good science behind any of these assumptions.

3. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's not as if the brain is a complicated organ :banghead:

If you have a shared set of symptoms in a group of people it suggests a possible pathology in the brain. Now, psychological treatments may help people cope and retraining and rehabilitation may be useful in the same way it is for strokes and MS. But to suggest it is psychogenic - oh sorry, my bad, functional, those pesky patients hate it being called psychological even if we know it is - is totally unscientific and inhumane as it leads to people being told they don't want to get better and being dumped from social and medical help when the proferred "treatments" make no difference.

19th century medicine for the 21st.

adambeyoncelowe and Lisa108 like this.
  4. Sean

Sean Senior Member (Voting Rights)

19th? That advanced?

Mithriel, andypants and Lisa108 like this.