1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 22nd April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

'Curable' mind-brain training app and ME/CFS, including the role of Fiona Symington

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by MrMagoo, Mar 16, 2024.

Tags:
  1. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There was a NHS-organized Long Covid conference yesterday, and one of the presentations from a clinic lists Curable as one of the things they prescribe, or use, or whatever. The colors they chose are really unhelpful, but it even looks like it's the most common from this service.

[​IMG]

2. rvallee

Key recommendations: "alternative targeted treatment strategies and new hope for recovery".

Good. Grief. This is what having given up years ago looks like, long after it's been left to fester and decay.

MrMagoo, Amw66, MEMarge and 10 others like this.
  3. rvallee

Maybe deleting it will?

MrMagoo, Hutan, tornandfrayed and 5 others like this.
  4. Lou B Lou

Lou B Lou Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Patient (we know not what the diagnosis is):

"I felt listened to and understood"

*Feeling listened to and understood* and actually *Being listened to and understood* are two different things for new/newly seen patients in NHS clinics for ME/LC/ so called MUS/MUPS/PUPS/ETC ETC

I recall *Feeling* properly listened to *For the first time* at my first and only appointment at Bart's 'CFS clinic' 2002. The consultant gave all *The Appearance* of listening, and nodding in all the right places, the odd word of confirmation. The 'treatment'? Referred to local services for CBT and GET.

BUT, when I requested and read the consultant's write up, his letter to my GPs, I realised that his behavior and responses *WERE ALL AN ACT*. What he wrote bore no relation to what I had said to him at the appointment, or what he actually said to me.

I wondered if he was a graduate of RADA rather than a graduate of any medical school.

But he was so convincing in his deception, so warm, so sympathetic.

New/newly seen ME or LC patients are so vulnerable to that form of deception from medical and other health care professionals whose arrogance has led them to think that any amount of deceiving patients is justified.

I was still too cognitively disabled to be online at that time (year 7 of ME) and so was not forewarned. BUT my local group recommended referral to Bart's, thereby collaborating with the Bart's patented deception of patients which was an extreme version of gaslighting, ie it was not to my face, but behind my back in the letter to my GPs, which is of course indelible and cannot be removed from my records.

Edit Postscript:
    I was too sick to attend any more appointments so too sick to go to local CBT and GET appointments. So Barts then dropped me like a rock, and would not write anything that gave a realistic view of how very sick/disabled I was. So, no evidence for IB. My sister took a day off work to get me to that Bart's appointment. Total waste of her time and my energy. That Barts clinic was a sham.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2024
    MrMagoo, Amw66, Hoopoe and 15 others like this.
  5. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Completely Cured sure.

6. JayJay

JayJay New Member

ALL THIS FRICTION! EXHAUSTING. think i will give forums a miss in the future.

MrMagoo, Peter Trewhitt and MEMarge like this.
  7. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Hi @JayJay, welcome to the forum.

I understand that a forum intended to provide a space for comment on research, including critical comment on claims of efficacy of treatments that are not based on good quality research, is not to everyone's taste.
    You might find the forum's values help you understand this:
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/welcome.302/

I am pleased for anyone whose health improves, and am fine with individuals attributing their improvement to whatever they were doing at the time.

What many of us are rightly concerned about is promotion of unevidenced treatments to vulnerable people. Such promotion is not free of risks of harm, including financial loss, worsening health, and the psychological effect of dashed hopes and feelings of failure and self-blame when a treatment doesn't work.

It's all very well for those who have improved or recovered saying their stories should be heard, but the stories of those who have been harmed by the same treatments need to be told at the same time, to warn people that the treatments are not evidence based and can cause harm.