1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

CRISPR-Cas3 innovation holds promise for disease cures, advancing science

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by rvallee, Apr 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

http://news.cornell.edu/stories/201...holds-promise-disease-cures-advancing-science

I don't know the potential for ME, but the growing body of evidence of non-replicating viral genetic material hijacking some metabolic function makes this interesting. It was previously assumed that viruses were irrelevant as a disease mechanism unless in an active infectious state.

I didn't bookmark but saw an article recently that viruses have been identified within cells that do not fit the typical dormant/active states, instead being active at a much slower (IIRC 100x) pace than activated viruses, seemingly just enough to remain within the host without triggering the immune system.

It's interesting considering how some viruses have been long dismissed as potential causes of diseases because of how common they are, something that seems less certain given last year's paper identifying EBV as a potential cause of several autoimmune diseases.