1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Coyne: Stop using the Adverse Childhood Experiences Checklist to make claims about trauma causing physical and mental health problems

Discussion in 'Research methodology news and research' started by Cheshire, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

by James C Coyne November 15, 2017

https://www.coyneoftherealm.com/blo...a-causing-physical-and-mental-health-problems

Allele, John Mac, Skycloud and 18 others like this.
  2. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Seems that this blog was prompted by the FINE trial's Richard Bentall's use of it:

3. MErmaid

MErmaid Guest

Skycloud, EzzieD, Trish and 3 others like this.
  4. Samuel

Samuel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

i would like to know of any believable research in the area by actually-scientifically-oriented researchers. is there any?

does prolonged stress during childhood -- or adulthood -- increase the probability of health issues, and if so, which ones specifically? feel free to define "stress" narrowly. lack of touching, misopathy, scapegoating by family or in school, etc.

i realize there are potential obstacles such as recall bias and so on. i am not referring to psycho-woowoo, or even the least anti-scientific of "behavioral" thinking. i don't buy into a mystical and conflated nosology of non-disease "psyche" "illnesses". i am just wondering if it is possible to make good conclusions, preferably with plausible pathophysiology [cortisol, inflammation, etc.]. what can we say with reasonable confidence, if anything?

Wonko, EzzieD, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  5. Lidia

Lidia Senior Member (Voting Rights)

(I had to google the word "misopathy", as I thought maybe it was a dislike of miso soup).

Wonko, MEMarge, Daisymay and 6 others like this.
  6. meandthecat

meandthecat Established Member

Universities once taught Astrology now they teach Psychology, both seem to have a problem with rigor and the scientific method. Garbage in, garbage out but whole industries exist to polish it up and call it gold

Wonko, MEMarge, Daisymay and 4 others like this.
  7. MErmaid

MErmaid Guest

Is this a free education that is funded by taxpayers?

There are so many problems in this world that need attention. Seems like a waste of an education that could be better spent by getting a degree in something that actually helps people (instead of using it to harm people).

So sad. As you said, GIGO.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    Wonko and Trish like this.
  8. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ACE is a " buzz" phrase which is filtering into many aspects of health and life. Adverse effects will no doubt affect some people more than others - it will be dependent on individual situations and the support available. There is no doubt that prolonged stress presses epigenetic buttons, and that a body hardwired to fight or flight will have a suppressed immune system which increases the potential for chronic illness- this does not mean it is guaranteed.

Wonko, Chezboo, Binkie4 and 2 others like this.
  9. MErmaid

MErmaid Guest

Some people thrive under stress, some don’t do so well. I don’t agree that prolonged stress will suppress everyones immune system. I don’t agree we are all hard wired for fight or flight. And looking thru epigenetic glasses alone is just one way to interpret health/illness.

Wonko and Skycloud like this.
  10. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I would agree that some thrive ( there are those who seem to continually run on adrenaline and love it) and that we are not all wired for fight or flight - but we can become so via prolonged stress - and those epigenetic switches are inheritable ( in rodents anyway)
    I do have a friend who does not have CFS/ME, but who has had a lifetime of illnesses, some serious longterm stress experience, is constantly on edge and has recently found COMT gene expression which accounts for a great deal for her.

11. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I just checked Coyne's twitter feed, and it seems he is getting criticism for this bit on twitter.

I've always been a bit puritanical on age differences and teenage sex, 18/16 seemed a creepy gap to me, but this does seem like a needless mess in a blog about the ACE. I wouldn't move from talk of a 'positive, liberating experience' to talking about a twenty year old having sexual contact with a fourteen year-old. The questionnaire is about experiences under 18, so the point could have been made with a 17/22 divide. I'm not saying everyone who had sexual contact with an older person when they were a teen was necessarily harmed by it, but the idea of a twenty-year old sexually 'liberating' a fourteen year old isn't that appealing.

Hutan, Wonko and Valentijn like this.
  12. MErmaid

MErmaid Guest

Here in the US we still have States that don’t require a minimum age for marriage. A friend of mine got married at 16, but had to travel out of state where it was legal. Her husband was more than 6 years her senior. So in her case, she was not sexually traumatized. They remained married for 34 years.

I think Coyne had the right concept about the flaws of ACE, but choose a very poor example. Maybe he could consider hiring a proof reader to catch his occasional faux pas?

Amw66, Wonko, inox and 2 others like this.
  13. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Esther12 and Trish like this.
  14. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My understanding is he never said sexual abuse can be liberating. He said sexual encounters, even if there is a 6 year age gap, could be liberating.

Valentijn, Hutan, MErmaid and 6 others like this.
  15. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

I think some of the idea behind the longitudinal studies where they follow families and their health for decades gives a better picture because its not retrospective and biased by looking for bad events when people are ill.

But it is very hard to get over the huge number of potential factors and the lack of ways to control for them. Especially the ones that haven't been thought of.

Valentijn, Hutan, Wonko and 5 others like this.
  16. MErmaid

MErmaid Guest

IMO it’s a combo of genetics and the environment. I don’t subscribe to the “childhood/teen abuse” psychological theory. In their skewed line of logic, then their would be a different impact, for a risk factor of getting a chronic disease if the victim was 18 vs 20.... and if the abuser was 5 years older vs 4 years older. It’s all just such utter nonsense.

IMO, I think we may be genetically vulnerable to getting ME, but multiple factors need to be triggering it. I feel it needs to be a perfect storm scenario.

But back to Coyne, hope this is a wake up call for him to rethink his social media presence, and how to best communicate his theories.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  17. MErmaid

MErmaid Guest

This is what Elon Musk learned about social media; he has 15M Twitter followers. (Maybe Coyne could take note that after mistakes are made, lessons can be learned).

"I find one learns lessons in the course of life," he begins with a wry half-smile. "And one lesson I've learned is, don't tweet on Ambien. That's on the record: Tweeting on Ambien is unwise. You may regret it."

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture...ans-for-outer-space-cars-finding-love-w511747

Esther12 likes this.