1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

'Covid tongue' and oral manifestations of inflammation / immune dysfunction

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by InitialConditions, Jan 25, 2021.

1. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://twitter.com/user/status/1349421278034325506

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/en...0ynqJV1Ih58cg4B9qc0FMwmHTPZD4N2QVC8Icca-Ia_n7

As someone who has had issues with my tongue since becoming ill, I found this interesting. I don't think we should be calling it Covid tongue; this appearance is quite common in illness and even in a small percentage of heathly folk. I'm not sure there is any consensus as to what is actually going on. Commonly diagnosed as geographic tongue, though other conditions (e.g., thrush) can give a similar appearance. It seems it points to inflammation (manifesting as enlarged tongue papillae that trap food debris—thus the white appearance) but also immune dysfunction. Others suggest problems with metabolism and hypothyroidism.

Picture of my tongue will follow below!

How many others have something similar that they can connect with their ME?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    EndME, rvallee, Tia and 5 others like this.
  2. InitialConditions

This is a pretty standard example of how my tongue often looks, though the 'white food debris' issue is less pronounced these days. Still get lots of bare patches, and the sides of my tongue are scalloped.

I don't recall having these issues before becoming ill.

Attached Files:

rvallee, Wonko, Art Vandelay and 4 others like this.
  3. Levant

Levant Established Member (Voting Rights)

A few months back I was reading up on some people's self-reported experience with fecal microbiota transplant and noticed in a couple of occasions the FMT recipient found their issues with white tongue were resolved by the FMT (although this obviously wasn't the objective).
    I wonder if it indicates a dysbiotic oral microbiome - influenced by either the gut microbiome or by host immune regulation.

I think both covid and me/cfs have been connected with microbiome disruption right?

4. InitialConditions

Yes, that seems likely to be part of the story. As well as in the gut, bacteria in the mouth are very important.

Peter Trewhitt and Levant like this.
  5. sb4

sb4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I also have this coating on my tongue.

rvallee and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  6. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The above quote is from the link in post #1.

I'm rather stunned that the NHS only list "three key symptoms of Covid-19" when so many sufferers have many more than that. I had a rather cynical thought... Is the NHS only acknowledging three symptoms to help them protect their BPS propaganda that anyone with many symptoms isn't really ill and is likely to be suffering from some kind of functional or mental disorder?

[I haven't had Covid to the best of my knowledge.]

Peter Trewhitt likes this.