1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

COVID-19 vaccine: UK regulators warn people with history of 'significant' allergic reactions not to have Pfizer/BioNTech jab

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by think_that_it_might, Dec 9, 2020.

1. think_that_it_might

think_that_it_might Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19...tions-not-to-have-pfizerbiontech-jab-12155916

This makes me more worried about having a vaccine. Throughout my illness, I've had reactions which have worsened my ME symptoms, tho they are now pretty minor compared to what they used to be. But back at the beginning of my illness (a very long time ago), I had a couple of significant episodes, including swelling of the throat and coming out in an itchy, lumpy all over body rash. So I can't say I feel too comfortable about this.

I'm curious as to whether people with sensitivities that aren't necessarily 'allergic' should be worried? Tho I'm not sure my problems wouldn't fall into both categories

2. Eagles

Eagles Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Also on the BBC website -

BBC News: Covid-19 vaccine: Allergy warning over new jab

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55244122

People with a history of significant allergic reactions should not have the new Covid jab, regulators say.

3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

As I suspected, this is not specific to this vaccine, it happens with other vaccines too on rare occasions. I guess this is being flagged because everyone is being encouraged to have this vaccine, whereas people who know they have severe anaphylaxic reactions to the extent that they carry epipens, probably are warned not to have things like the regular flu vaccine.

4. think_that_it_might

Thing is, I was a bit worried before but I was gearing up to have this because I knew I'd never feel safe if I didn't. I've never had an anaphylaxic shock, but I have had the kind of breathlessness and rashes referred to in the BBC article, although not in an alarming way for maybe 20 years, in the early years of my ME. Idk what to do now, I'd usually think 'talk to my dr', but my good doctors are all retired and i know what my new one says, which is that nothing to do with my ME matters anyway because he doesn't really believe in it.

5. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If this was the "usual" problem with every vaccine (radio said 1/1 million) then I don't think we would be seeing it on 2 NHS workers on Day 1. It does seem the type of extraordinary coincidence or bad luck if that is the case.

I am guessing that these people would have been excluded from clinical trials?

Mariaba, Barry, Wits_End and 6 others like this.
  6. think_that_it_might

I think they were. I've seen that somewhere.

alktipping and MEMarge like this.
  7. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You could wait for a different type of vaccine to be approved? The allergic reaction is thought to have been driven by the presence of 'foreign' mRNA in the body. The Oxford/AZ vaccine, for instance, uses a completely different approach, and because it doesn't have such demanding transportation and storage requirements, it's likely to be much more widely available anyway (assuming that it passes regulatory checks).

Mariaba, Wits_End, alktipping and 5 others like this.
  8. think_that_it_might

Yeah, I was hoping that the other ones might be different, so that's reassuring to hear.

9. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have some problems with allergies too @youngscum. As I've aged mine seem to have become a bit worse & not better :(.

I discussed the flu vaccine with my GP but, even though I don't have a history of anaphylaxis, it was decided the risk of a reaction was too high.

Another problem is that I often feel fluish and like I have a fever - even though my temperature is usually on low side of normal. So I honestly can't tell if I'm coming down with something or not.

Unless told otherwise, I am assuming that I am likely to have issues with the Pfizer vaccine. The Oxford one is still an unknown.

If I was invited to have a vaccine I would probably discuss it with my GP first as I know there is already something in my notes about the flu vaccine.

Edit - missed the word "notes"

Daisymay, Mij, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  10. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If you're allergic to eggs, this would make sense – some variants of 'flu vaccination are grown on in eggs. This current year's wasn't, but from memory I think at least the previous four were.

11. Sisyphus

Sisyphus Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Do you have a list of everything you’ve had a reaction to? You might be able to find out whether your known allergens have any similarity to the vaccine.

If you do get the shot, you might want to arrange in advance to stay at the doctors office for a few hours, or find out how long it will take to get from where you are to an ER which expects your arrival.

Then you need to change doctors.

12. think_that_it_might

It's complicated. From before I became ill, I was allergic to cannabis (I was a student, you find these things out), but after I became ill i began to have more wide ranging sensitivities, which could vary in severity depending on how unwell I was. The last time anything made me at all breathless was when part of the house was painted a few years back, but I have to manage food sensitivities all the time and make sure I introduce things into my diet carefully, as new foods can still trigger symptoms. My doctor seriously won't give a shit about any of this. I'm not going to get this kind of shot, it's too risky but I'll see what happens with the Oxford vaccine. It's a blow tho, I'd steeled myself for doing this.

I'm just so tired of messing about with them, this is my third Dr in two years and if I don't stay then I might end up at the rubbish local surgery, where it wouldn't matter who my Dr was cos i'd never get into see them anyway.

13. TrixieStix

TrixieStix Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Here in the US the CDC only says those who have had a severe allergic reaction to the flu vaccine in the past or who have a known severe allergy to any of the ingredients in the vaccine should avoid it. It does not say that people with severe allergies in general should avoid vaccination.

"People who SHOULD NOT get the flu shot:

People with severe, life-threatening allergies to flu vaccine or any ingredient in the vaccine."

(quoted from CDC website)

14. Invisible Woman

Yes, I have a pal who is allergic to eggs and that's why she couldn't have it.

As far as I know I've never had a reaction to eggs in my life.

Edit -spelling

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  15. Invisible Woman

The snag is allergies and sensitivities are a) not the same and b) complicated to isolate and identify.

A person may not know they are allergic to any of the contents of the vaccine.

If you've already had it once and been fine then, unless you are very unlucky, the chances are you'll be fine.

If you haven't and you don't know what all the triggers are you may not.

In the UK, in the past at least, most GP surgeries are not fully equipped if you need resuscitation. If there was doubt about whether you will react or not, then they would administer a small amount of the vaccine in a hospital environment where all the equipment & trained staff are on hand. There are long waiting lists for this kind of thing and not every hospital has the capacity to do this.

Daisymay, Sarah94, Michelle and 4 others like this.
  16. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

17. Invisible Woman

There are two problem with that though

1. some of the ingredients are vague like emulsifiers or antibiotics for example. Which ones? Could different batches contain different ones?

2. a person may not know they are allergic to a specific ingredient because they may not have encountered it before, or they had a reaction and attributed it to something else.

Living with allergies is like needing to be a detective on duty 24/7. If someone has a very clear allergic reaction to one or two things that can make life very difficult, thanks to vagaries of labelling laws and the like.

Someone who reacts less dramatically but to a lot of different things will have a much more difficult time trying to work out the trigger, especially as the likelihood encountering more than one trigger at a time is greater.

Then, of course, you can suddenly develop an allergy to something you previously didn't have a problem with.

A minefield.

Edit - missed words

18. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I used to pass out everytime I received a vaccine in grade school. I never knew why.

19. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The viral vector (such as the AstraZeneca vaccine) and mRNA vaccines have much higher doses compared to traditional vaccines, hence why there is a high rate of acute side effects to the vaccine - typically fevers, but this also includes increased risk of anaphylactic reactions to those who are predisposed.

Mariaba, JaneL, Wits_End and 6 others like this.
  20. Sisyphus

Sisyphus Senior Member (Voting Rights)

WTF health system are you dealing with? Afghanistan?