1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Covid-19 vaccination experiences

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Wits_End, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Could it be that you'd actually contracted Covid before you were vaccinated?

2. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's been asked several times in different setting. I've had 3 Covid tests so far and all clear.

3. Agapanthus

Agapanthus Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have just had my 2nd vac done (AstraZeneca). For the first one, I had the expected fluey feeling for a day, and then nothing for 2 or 3 days and then 2 weeks worth of fatigue and brain fog. I did a yellow card report for MHRA on it.

This time round I was in the midst of an attack of a chronic pain issue I have from time to time with dyspepsia - not exactly normal as it can go on for a couple of weeks until I managed to calm it down with herbs or a dose or 2 of Omeprazole. I had had a migraine aura 2 days before, but decided to go for it, as it wasn't anything out of the ordinary for me. I usually only get the one migraine aura with this issue, but this time I had 3 more on Wed, Thursday and Friday too so whether it was the vac I don't know, as I didn't have any other symptoms.

AliceLily, Yessica, JemPD and 9 others like this.
  4. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had my second AZ vaccine on Sunday.

The first injection made me feel better than I have for years, especially cognitively. I've had a good cognitive improvement with this one too, though not as strong an effect as last time. There's also an improvement in overall energy, though again weaker – the first dose made me feel as if I was on speed! Aside from a slightly bruised feeling at the injection site, I've had no negative effects from either dose.

I'm part of the ONS Covid study, and I always got negative results for Covid antibodies until my first jab. I had a blood test three weeks after my first dose, and it was a relief to see the positive result – hopefully I'll have as much immunity as I'm going to get a couple of weeks from now. (Not that I'm going to stop avoiding contact with other people as much as possible...! :laugh:)

AliceLily, Louie41, Ariel and 10 others like this.
  5. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just had my second AZ jab.

Received a text, which I didn't notice, about an hour before, and then one 5 minutes before, which I did.

And then they arrived.

Load of flannel about side effects not being as bad on first jab, studies say.

I wasn't cruel enough to ask which studies but did point out that just as much says the opposite. Which was agreed with lol

6. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Had my first yesterday, got the AZ.

No obvious problems so far, apart from a very slightly sore upper arm and shoulder.

Did discover something interesting in the official notes they gave me: the clotting problem with the AZ only occurs with the first shot, there are no cases of people getting it after the second shot.

7. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, that has been known for some time. My guess is those who are at risk get it from the first shot and never get a second shot as a result.

8. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wish the Canadian government would follow this advice and give ppl who got their first shot the second dose instead of allowing them to expire.

We're going to be in lockdown until 2022!!

9. Sean

Two days on and arm still slightly sore, plus had some headaches, and generally more lethargic and sub-par than usual. But nothing serious. Paracetamol and Ibuprofen for the headaches, and extra time on the day bed, seems to be working out okay.

Did stock the fridge with plenty of easy food before getting the shot, which is paying off now.

On the good side, I am getting through some of my Netflix list. :geek:

10. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is now five weeks since I had my first Moderna vaccine and I feel awful. I'm very tired and feel weak all of the time. My doctor did some blood work and nothing has shown up. I don't know if this is the vaccine causing my ME to get worse, or if it is still just a reaction to the vaccine that is taking longer than normal to go away. My ME has always been mild/moderate and I've been able to do light housework and gardening. Now I find something as simple as washing dishes hard to do and I have to keep stopping to take rest breaks. Has anyone else had a similar reaction to the vaccine?

11. Wonko

My first AZ jab took around 6-7 weeks to 'recover' from. Initially (first few days) just a bit of weirdness with more PEM than there should have been but then...it kept going, fatigability and vertigo/tipping was at unsafe levels for a few weeks. I seem to remember I was on unsafe levels of painkillers for quite a while as well.

I was just emerging from it when they turned up last week to do my windows and I took a bit of a dive again, and then a few days later, jab 2.

I am currently 'restless but completely oomphless within an hour or so of waking so can't actually do anything useful.

I am mostly managing to keep up with basic meal prep (with unplanned delays and changes to 'simpler' things), with anything more advanced or unfamiliar going wrong for no obvious reason - which suggests my cognition is up the spout.

12. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wonko, I'm debating whether or not to even get the 2nd shot. Right now we are having to wait about four months for the second vaccine. Hopefully I'll have recovered before then. I don't want to have to go through this again. Why can't life be easy??

13. Wonko

14. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sorry to hear you haven't been doing well since the vaccine!

I will say however, that such symptoms after just a vaccine is interesting in terms of suggesting pathology of Dysgeusia/Anosmia!

15. Sean

Day 4: Side-effects definitely on the wane now.

Now I just have to make it through the 3 week risk window for clots that starts today. :unsure:

vertigo

Forgot to mention that I did get a touch of vertigo in the first 36 hours or so, but only minor and temporary, and could have just been exacerbation of the ME hemodynamic issue (OI/POTS).

16. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm posting about my husband, not me. He had his second injection (AZ) yesterday.

Have you ever woken up and in the first few minutes felt very confused, had no idea what day it is or what time of day or night it is or what the date is? I get this often. I've even, on rare occasions, been unable to say what season it is for a brief period after I've woken up. Usually, after a short time I can gather my wits and work out at least some of the information I'm missing about day/date/time/season.

Today my husband woke up and had this problem I've just described. And he claims this is the first time it has ever happened to him. Whether it is simply a coincidence and has nothing to do with his injection yesterday, I can't say. But I just thought I'd pass it on. It clearly made a big impression on my husband - he commented on it several times throughout the day and said how unpleasant he found the experience.

17. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Does he have a fever? Sounds like a form of delirium.

18. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

19. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Happens to me when I fall asleep during the day.

20. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)