1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

COVID-19 Pandemic-Revealed Consistencies and Inconsistencies in Healthcare: A Medical and Organizational View, 2022, Araja et al

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by Sly Saint, Jun 1, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Abstract
    The circumstances of the Coronavirus disease caused by the SARS-CoV-2 virus (COVID-19) pandemic have had a significant impact on global and national developments, affecting the existence of society in all its expressions, as well as the lives of people themselves.

In the context of the pandemic, increased attention has been focused on acute measures, but the ending of the pandemic is expected as a resolution of the related healthcare problems. However, there are several indicators that the COVID-19 pandemic might induce long-term consequences for individual and public health. Some of the consequences are inferred and predictable, but there are also areas of medicine that have been indirectly affected by the pandemic, and these consequences have not yet been sufficiently explored.

This study is focused on drawing attention to some of the COVID-19 pandemic consistencies and the pandemic-revealed inconsistencies in healthcare. Content analysis and statistical analysis were applied to achieve the aim of the study.

The main findings of the study address chronic disease burden (particularly, myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS)), healthcare governance and organizational issues, and the synergy between health policy perspectives and innovative solutions in practice.

The study provides insight into the particular healthcare issues affected by the COVID-19 pandemic, such as the increase in mortality in some diagnoses besides COVID-19 and the possible emergence of a new type of resistance—vaccine-resistance—contemporaneously supporting the identification of the tendencies and currently unnoticed indirect consistencies and inconsistencies revealed by the pandemic.

https://www.mdpi.com/2227-9032/10/6/1018

Starlight, Mij, DokaGirl and 3 others like this.
  2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Latvian authors

About ME/CFS:

There's a lot more paragraphs about ME/CFS there, roughly just saying - 'some parts of Long Covid look a lot like ME/CFS, but we can't say for sure yet and should do lots more research'. There's mention of autonomic dysfunction and POTS.

This, about biomarkers, was in the discussion:

I thought this, about funding for the paper, was a bit notable:
    I'm not quite sure why funding for ME/CFS biomarker selection was used for this paper which doesn't seem to have a lot to do with ME/CFS biomarkers. Hopefully there is more to come.

Sean, alktipping, Lilas and 5 others like this.
  3. Hutan

Authors: Diana Araja *, Uldis Berkis and Modra Murovska
    Institute of Microbiology and Virology, Riga Stradins University, Latvia;

4. Hutan

On Uldis Berkis:

alktipping, Lilas, Starlight and 2 others like this.
  5. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you for this posting @Sly Saint, and for the highlights, @Hutan.

From the article:

"ME/CFS may move from the rare disease category to a wide group of diseases with similar symptoms."

The idea of ME moving from a "rare" disease to a larger group of similar diseases is interesting.

Interesting in that this movement is seen as a possibility, and that ME is termed "rare".

Also interesting because historically, it was the BPS movement that presented ME as part of a larger group of health issues, as part of the wallpaper - "everyone feels like you do".

Not at all what the authors are suggesting here.

However, I question the description of ME as rare.

The Institute of Medicine (IOM) report counted 836,000 to 2.5 million Americans with ME: https://nap.nationalacademies.org/resource/19012/MECFS_ReportBrief.pdf

Statistics Canada reports that more than500,000 Canadians have ME:
    https://cihr-irsc.gc.ca/e/51074.html

The Orphan Drug Act defines a rare disease as a disease or condition that affects less than 200,000 people in the United States.

https://www.fda.gov/patients/rare-d...s a rare disease?,people in the United States.

Hutan, alktipping, Lilas and 2 others like this.