1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

COVID-19 infection alters kynurenine and fatty acid metabolism, correlating with IL-6 levels and renal status, 2020, Thomas et al

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Andy, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Open access, https://insight.jci.org/articles/view/140327/pdf

sebaaa, Philipp, JaneL and 17 others like this.
  2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well, well, well. Ain't that interesting?

MEMarge, AliceLily, Kitty and 2 others like this.
  3. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A depletion of tryptophan and an increase in the kynurenine pathway. That seems part of a normal response to an infection.

But maybe, if the metabolic trap hypothesis is correct, and this particular virus provokes a particularly strong activation of the kynurenine pathway, then it could be good at causing the metabolic trap.

This part is also mildly interesting:

I'm too tired to read the entire article.

sebaaa, Philipp, MEMarge and 6 others like this.
  4. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ron Davis was measuring tryptophan in CELLS not in plasma.

5. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, much of this is known already and doesn't confirm the presence of a certain hypothesised metabolic trap.

sebaaa, AliceLily, Michelle and 4 others like this.
  6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Someone on Twitter linked this paper and suggested it shows "Covid patients are found to have elevated hydroxyproline levels, which indicates the degradation of collagen/connective tissue" and suggests this is leading to structural spinal problems that may need surgery.

I had a quick look through the paper but didn't find mention of hydroxyproline. If anyone else has the energy to look, I'd be interested in your comments.

Michelle, Binkie4 and rainy like this.
  7. Tao Fogger

Tao Fogger Established Member (Voting Rights)

No comments on it, but top of page 6 in the indented paragraph:

"Although no significant changes were noted in methionine levels, increases in acetyl-methionine and hydroxyproline, by-products of proteolysis and collagen catabolism, respectively, were observed, particularly in patients with COVID-19 with the highest IL-6 levels (Figure 4B). D"

and top of page 10:

"It is worth noting that proinflammatory signaling favors proteolysis and amino acid catabolism (represented herein by increased acetyl-methionine and hydroxyproline and altered levels of free amino acids), which can be antagonized, in part, by antiinflammatory cytokines (e.g., IL-37) (54) or inflammasome inhibitors (55)."

Michelle, Mithriel and Trish like this.
  8. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Thanks @Tao Fogger. My lay person's response is that this is data collected from a small sample of people while they have acute Covid infection. Any extrapolation to long covid seems stretching the point way too far.

Michelle and Mithriel like this.
  9. Tao Fogger

Tao Fogger Established Member (Voting Rights)

From the little I read of the paper (very little - I don't have the brain cells to make sense of it), it certainly seems quite a leap to draw the conclusions the twitter poster you quoted said @Trish

Michelle and rainy like this.