Could Transcranial Doppler be used to demonstrate cognitive impairment?

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS discussion' started by Hoopoe, Nov 1, 2023.

1. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Measuring cerebral bloow flow with Transcranial Doppler while performing a high-intensity cognitive task (without pauses) while sitting seems like it might be a useful test.

I believe it would show that blood flow continues to decline with exertion as the brain becomes fatigued and metabolism declines.

As far as I know this specific test hasn't been done yet, but there was a study that did repeated cognitive testing during PEM, which found a decline in performance over time.

Transcranial Doppler has already been used in ME/CFS to show a decline in cerebral blood flow in severely ill patients undergoing some orthostatic stress (I can't recall the details at the moment).

2. Denise

Denise Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2023
  3. Hoopoe

Yes I was thinking about that study. They used tilt tests to provoke reduced cerebral blood flow, and in another study severely ill patients showed reduced cerebral blood flow just by sitting up, if I recall correctly.

If we could provoke and document reduced cerebral blood flow by having patients do a cognitively demanding task while wearing a Transcranial Doppler headband we would have a widely usable diagnostic test for at least that aspect of ME/CFS. The cognitively demanding task could be just a cognitive test in front of a PC.

Assuming that a cognitive test actually results in CBF abnormalities (in comparison to healthy people). I suspect it does.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2023
    alktipping, Creekside, Wonko and 3 others like this.
  4. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

5. Hoopoe

This study suggests that this idea has merit, at least in schizophrenia.

shak8, alktipping, Sean and 3 others like this.
  6. Ken Turnbull

Ken Turnbull Established Member

@Hoopoe , I'm only new today, but happened to see this thread. I think a similar study to what you are thinking of has been done on POTS patients in 2020:

"Cerebral Blood Flow and Cognitive Performance in Postural Tachycardia Syndrome: Insights from Sustained Cognitive Stress Test"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7955388/

7. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Thread here:
    Cerebral Blood Flow and Cognitive Performance in Postural Tachycardia Syndrome: Insights from Sustained Cognitive Stress Test, Wells et al, 2020